Global Automotive Semiconductor Market By Application (Body Electronics, Powertrain, Safety, Telematics & Infotainment, Chassis, and Others), By Vehicle Type (Passenger Cars, Light Commercial Vehicles, and Heavy Commercial Vehicles), By Component (Discrete Power, Processor, Sensor, Memory, and Others), By Regional Outlook, Industry Analysis Report and Forecast, 2021 - 2027
Special Offering: Industry Insights | Market Trends | Highest number of Tables | 24/7 Analyst Support
Get in-depth analysis of the COVID-19 impact on the Automotive Semiconductor Market
Market Report Description
The Global Automotive Semiconductor Market size is expected to reach $60.5 billion by 2027, rising at a market growth of 6.3% CAGR during the forecast period. Semiconductors are integral components in new-age automobiles for various functions like electrification, safety, and communication & connectivity. With the increase in acceptance and popularity of electric and hybrid vehicles, the automotive industry would witness massive demand for semiconductors. Also, semiconductors available in the form of power devices and solar cells help develop the required charging infrastructure which is essential to make the concept of electric vehicles feasible and popular.
With the increasing demand for automation and advanced features in the automotive industry, semiconductors will be highly integrated into onboard systems for different applications. As the concept of autonomous is slowly emerging worldwide, highly advanced semiconductor devices play a crucial role in technological advancements occurring in the automotive industry. The focus of automakers is rapidly shifting to comfort, productivity, and interiors with the significance is placed more on rider experience than driving experience.
The growth of the automotive semiconductor market is expected to witness bright prospects due to the surge in demand for electronic content per car. One of the major catalysts for the market growth includes an upsurge in the penetration of electronic parts in high-end to mass-produced cars. Moreover, the proliferation of connected cars, automotive safety systems, infotainment systems, and fuel efficiency standards are directly proportional to the growth of the automotive semiconductor market.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
The global pandemic and measures taken to control the transmission of the virus have created massive uncertainty in businesses, thereby adversely impacting the industries around the globe. Due to the pandemic, many industries faced massive revenue loss and automobile semiconductor is no exception. Sales of semiconductors for automotive applications are largely based on the degree of vehicle electrification and digitization and vehicle sales volume. The sales of automobiles have been drastically declined due to the disruption caused by the global pandemic. The growth of the automotive semiconductor market is hampered by the decreasing sales of commercial and passenger vehicles. The disruption in international export and import shipments proportionately delayed the raw materials and production supplies in the electric vehicles market.
Market Growth Factors:
Increased demand for ADAS
The sales of ADAS (Advanced Driver Assistance Systems) would increase in upcoming years due to the increase in demand for safety features that aim to prevent accidents and collisions by providing technologies that notify the driver regarding possible issues and to prevent collisions by installing safeguards and taking complete control over the vehicle. Semiconductors are highly used in ADAS with an aim to improve its functionality. In addition, the thriving automotive sector and innovative features in the luxury sector have increased the number of sensors being embedded into automobiles to offer more sophisticated services to consumers.
The surge in adoption and popularity of EVs
The growth of automotive semiconductors would be driven by the rise in the adoption of sustainable alternative fuel vehicles such as hybrid electric vehicles. As per the ICCT, worldwide EV production crossed above 2 million per year in 2019 and sold above 80,000 EVs per year. Moreover, semiconductors are making EVs more efficient, secure, and interactive, which are critical aspects when human life is at risk. They are also essential for batteries and power trains in an electric vehicle.
Market Restraining Factor:
COVID-19 pandemic caused massive disruption in the supply chain of semiconductor
The production of the domestic car has been drastically declined because of chip storage worldwide. Almost every domestic carmaker is witnessing some disruptions because of the current shortage of semiconductors, a major element that is utilized across new-age vehicles. The COVID-19 pandemic and resulting lockdown measures have compelled automakers to shut down their manufacturing plants across many countries, thereby drastically reducing the production capabilities.
Based on Application, the market is segmented into Body Electronics, Powertrain, Safety, Telematics & Infotainment, Chassis, and Others. The telematics & infotainment segment would exhibit the highest growth rate throughout the forecast years. The automakers are encouraged to use more semiconductor elements for telematics and infotainment and safety applications with the rise in competition to offer superior comfort and convenience to their customers.
Vehicle Type Outlook
Based on Vehicle Type, the market is segmented into Passenger Cars, Light Commercial Vehicles, and Heavy Commercial Vehicles. The light commercial vehicle segment would showcase a prominent growth rate during the forecasting period, hence creating lucrative growth opportunities for the automotive semiconductor market. The growth and demand for light and heavy commercial vehicles are expected to be fueled due to the fast pace of urbanization, surging mining & e-commerce activities, and regulations for purchasing commercial vehicles.
Based on Component, the market is segmented into Discrete Power, Processor, Sensor, Memory, and Others. The demand for semiconductors in the automotive market continues to increase across all component types. These components play a crucial role in improving connectivity, vehicle electrification, and shared mobility services. Modern vehicles are integrated with the automotive chip which alerts the driver with a warning and assists in making informed decisions during an accident or a crash. Navigation and infotainment systems are extremely using logic ICs.
|Market size value in 2020||USD 41.1 Billion|
|Market size forecast in 2027||USD 60.5 Billion|
|Historical Period||2017 to 2019|
|Forecast Period||2021 to 2027|
|Revenue Growth Rate||CAGR of 6.3% from 2021 to 2027|
|Number of Pages||292|
|Number of Tables||404|
|Report coverage||Market Trends, Revenue Estimation and Forecast, Segmentation Analysis, Regional and Country Breakdown, Competitive landscape, Companies Strategic Developments, Company Profiling|
|Segments covered||Application, Vehicle Type, Component, Region|
|Country scope||US, Canada, Mexico, Germany, UK, France, Russia, Spain, Italy, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Brazil, Argentina, UAE, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Nigeria|
Based on Regions, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Latin America, Middle East & Africa. Europe would witness the second-highest growth rate during the forecasting period. The growth of the regional market is fueled by the surge in demand for electric vehicles. Automakers are increasing their focus on developing, and innovating autonomous vehicles which have encouraged the majority of the customer to visit key automotive manufacturing nations. Due to the high demand for smart & completely autonomous cars and consumers attraction, semiconductors would play a vital role in bringing innovations in the automotive market over forthcoming years.
Free Valuable Insights: Global Automotive Semiconductor Market size to reach USD 60.5 Billion by 2027
KBV Cardinal Matrix - Automotive Semiconductor Market Competition Analysis
The major strategies followed by the market participants are Product Launches. Based on the Analysis presented in the Cardinal matrix; Texas Instruments, Inc. is the major forerunners in the Automotive Semiconductor Market. Companies such as ON Semiconductor Corporation, Rohm Semiconductors Co., Ltd., STMicroelectronics N.V. are some of the key innovators in the market.
The market research report covers the analysis of key stake holders of the market. Key companies profiled in the report include NXP Semiconductors N.V., Infineon Technologies AG, Robert Bosch GmbH, Texas Instruments, Inc., Toshiba Corporation, Analog Devices, Inc., Renesas Electronics Corporation, ON Semiconductor Corporation, Rohm Semiconductors Co., Ltd., and STMicroelectronics N.V.
Recent Strategies Deployed in Automotive Semiconductor Market
» Partnerships, Collaborations and Agreements:
- Sep-2021: Rohm entered into a partnership with Geely Automobile Group Co., Ltd., a leading Chinese automobile manufacturer. The partnership aimed to develop next-generation technologies in the automotive field.
- Sep-2021: Analog Devices collaborated with Twaice, a battery company developing analytics software. The collaboration aimed to offer a holistic lifecycle solution for car manufacturers with integrated hardware and software.
- Sep-2021: NXP teamed up with Tata Consultancy Services, a leading global IT service, consulting, and business solutions organization. Following the collaboration, TCS would speed up cloud adoption of NXP to further improve business agility and develop a future-ready digital foundation that contributes to its growth and transformation agenda.
- Jun-2021: STMicroelectronics collaborated with Arrival, a British electric vehicle manufacturer headquartered in London, UK. The collaboration aimed to offer advanced semiconductor technologies and products to Arrival’s vehicles including automotive microcontrollers and power and battery-management devices.
- Jun-2021: STMicroelectronics joined hands with Renault Group, a French multinational automobile manufacturer. Together, the companies would focus on the design, development, manufacturing, and supply of STMicroelectronics’ products and associated packaging solutions for the power electronics systems of battery-operated and hybrid vehicles of the Renault Group.
- Jun-2021: Analog Devices collaborated with Dirac, a world-renowned audio tech company specializing in digital audio optimization. Under this collaboration, the latest digital solution for entry-level audio systems of Dirac would be integrated with automotive processors of ADI to develop a comprehensive, bundled offer for the global automotive customer base of ADI.
- Jun-2021: NXP Semiconductors entered into a partnership with TSMC, a Taiwanese multinational semiconductor contract manufacturing, and design company. The partnership aimed to launch NXP’s S32G2 vehicle network processors and the S32R294 radar processor into volume production on TSMC’s advanced 16 nanometers (nm) FinFET process technology. In addition, NXP’s continued innovation in the S32 family would assist carmakers to streamline vehicle architecture and offer the completely connected and configurable car of tomorrow.
- Apr-2021: Rohm joined hands with Sanden Huayu Automotive Air-Conditioning, a China-based automotive air conditioner manufacturer. The collaboration aimed to develop a joint technical laboratory focused on automotive applications. This joint lab would bolster further the collaborative partnership and enable technical innovations in the automotive industry by offering power solutions that fulfil customer needs as well as market trends.
- Apr-2021: Renesas Electronics partnered with SiFive, a fabless semiconductor company and provider of commercial RISC-V processor IP and silicon chips. The partnership aimed to develop advanced, high-end RISC-V solutions for automotive applications. Through this partnership, SiFive would give license to Renesas for using its RISC-V core IP portfolio.
» Acquisitions and Mergers:
- Aug-2021: Renesas Electronics took over Dialog Semiconductor, a leading vendor of standard and custom integrated circuits (ICs) that power the Internet of Things (IoT) and Industrial IoT applications. Through this acquisition, the companies would capitalize on a wide range of opportunities within the IoT, industrial, and automotive fields.
- Aug-2021: Analog Devices took over Maxim Integrated Products, a company that designs and manufactures numerous types of analog and mixed-signal integrated circuits. The acquisition aimed to further strengthen the position of Analog Devices as a high-performance analog semiconductor company. Following the acquisition, Analog Devices would significantly contribute to analog semiconductor innovation while contributing to a more healthy, secure, and sustainable future.
- Aug-2021: ON Semiconductor came into a definitive agreement to acquire GT Advanced Technologies. This acquisition would help ON Semiconductor to secure and grow the supply of SiC and fulfil quickly increasing customer demand for SiC-based solutions in the sustainable ecosystem, including EVs, EV charging, and energy infrastructure.
- Jun-2021: Texas Instruments signed an agreement to acquire Micron Technology's 300-mm semiconductor factory in Lehi, Utah. Following this acquisition, Texas Instruments would bolster its competitive edge in manufacturing and technology.
- Apr-2020: Infineon Technologies took over Cypress Semiconductor, an American semiconductor design, and manufacturing company. The acquisition aimed to strengthen Infineon Technologies' focus on structural growth drivers and on a wider range of applications.
- Mar-2020: STMicroelectronics took over a majority stake in French Gallium Nitride (GaN) innovator Exagan. Following this acquisition, the company would strengthen its leadership in power semiconductors and also support its long-term GaN roadmap, ecosystem, and business.
» Product Launches and Product Expansions:
- Oct-2021: Renesas Electronics rolled out an innovative automotive gateway solution with an R-Car S4 system on chips (SoCs) and power management ICs (PMICs). This solution focuses on advanced vehicle computers, domain servers, communication gateways, and application servers. Through this launch, the company would fulfil the demands of the automotive industry regarding high performance, high-speed networking, high security, and high functional safety levels that are required as E/E architectures evolve into domains and zones.
- Sep-2021: Renesas Electronics unveiled the RAA2S425x Family of ICs for automotive pressure sensing systems. Through this launch, the company would offer extremely precise amplification and sensor-specific correction of signals in automotive xEV/EV/FCEV pressure sensing braking, transmission, and HVAC systems.
- Sep-2021: STMicroelectronics launched VN9D30Q100F and VN9D5D20FN, the next-generation of automotive intelligent switches. The new switches are the first in the market that features digital current sensing among the completely digital on-chip diagnostic features. These products are suitable for high-side connections in applications powered from a 12V battery, the drivers streamline the hardware and software design of electronic control units (ECUs) and improve system reliability.
- Sep-2021: Toshiba introduced TB67S539FTG to its line-up of stepping motor driver IC series. The new device would support consistent current control, for office automation, commercial and industrial equipment.
- Jul-2021: Renesas Electronics introduced a new family to its popular series of R-Car system-on-chips (SoCs) with the R-Car Gen3e. The latest devices aim to extend the successful R-Car Gen3 SoC products with higher CPU performance up to 50k DMIPS and 2GHz speeds to assist carmakers to navigate demands for constant user experience, security, and safety enhancements.
- Jul-2021: ON Semiconductor introduced image sensing and LiDAR technologies to power key functions in AutoX’s Gen5 self-driving platform. The new Gen5 autonomous vehicle technology allows the first fully driverless RoboTaxi, developed to democratize autonomy and offer universal access to the transportation of people and goods.
- Jun-2021: Rohm introduced AC/DC converter ICs with a built-in 1700V SiC MOSFET, BM2SC12xFP2-LBZ in the TO 263-7L package. Through this launch, the company would optimize industrial applications centered on auxiliary power supplies for street lamps, general-purpose inverters, commercial air-conditioning systems, and AC servos drives.
- Jun-2021: Toshiba introduced an updated solid-state LiDAR. The updated feature helps in achieving the world’s smallest volume, robust vibration, and wind resistance while maintaining the highest detection range of 200m, along with the maximum resolution of any sensor of similar size. The upgraded performance of the new LiDAR would fuel the progress to autonomous driving, and also expand its application into monitoring transportation infrastructure, in such areas as early detection of road subsidence or landslides, snow cover, or falls of objects onto roads.
- May-2021: STMicroelectronics introduced STi2GaN, the latest line of ST Intelligent and Integrated Gallium Nitride (GaN) solutions. The latest product line would leverage the high-power density and efficiency of GaN to provide an industry-specific range of devices in 100V and 650V clusters that facilitate scalability, compactness, and outstanding performance.
- Apr-2021: Infineon Technologies unveiled XENSIV IM67D130A. This new product integrates the expertise of the company in the automotive sector with technical leadership in its expensive MEMS microphones to fulfil the requirement for high-performance, low-noise MEMS microphones for automotive applications.
» Geographical Expansions:
- Sep-2021: Infineon Technologies expanded its geographical reach by establishing a new plant in Austria. Through this expansion, the company would increase its capability to supply power chips for cars, data centers, and renewable power generation.
- Jun-2021: Robert Bosch expanded its geographical reach by opening a chip plant in Germany. The new plant would boost the company's capability to serve carmakers directly, depending less on third-party manufacturers.
Scope of the Study
Market Segments Covered in the Report:
- Body Electronics
- Telematics & Infotainment
By Vehicle Type
- Passenger Cars
- Light Commercial Vehicles
- Heavy Commercial Vehicles
- Discrete Power
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of LAMEA
Key Market Players
List of Companies Profiled in the Report:
- NXP Semiconductors N.V.
- Infineon Technologies AG
- Robert Bosch GmbH
- Texas Instruments, Inc.
- Toshiba Corporation
- Analog Devices, Inc.
- Renesas Electronics Corporation
- ON Semiconductor Corporation
- Rohm Semiconductors Co., Ltd.
- STMicroelectronics N.V.
Unique Offerings from KBV Research
- Exhaustive coverage
- The highest number of market tables and figures
- Subscription-based model available
- Guaranteed best price
- Assured post sales research support with 10% customization free
What would be the size of the automotive semiconductor market by 2027?
The automotive semiconductor market size is projected to reach USD 60.5 billion by 2027.
What are the key driving factors and challenges in the automotive semiconductor market?
Increased demand for ADAS are driving the market in coming years, however, COVID-19 pandemic caused massive disruption in the supply chain of semiconductor have limited the growth of the market.
What are the major top companies in the competitive landscape?
NXP Semiconductors N.V., Infineon Technologies AG, Robert Bosch GmbH, Texas Instruments, Inc., Toshiba Corporation, Analog Devices, Inc., Renesas Electronics Corporation, ON Semiconductor Corporation, Rohm Semiconductors Co., Ltd., and STMicroelectronics N.V.
At what CAGR is the automotive semiconductor market estimate to grow in the forecast period?
The expected CAGR of the automotive semiconductor market is 6.3% from 2021 to 2027.
Which segment shows a high revenue share of the automotive semiconductor market in 2020?
In 2020, the passenger vehicles segment garnered the maximum revenue share of the automotive semiconductor market. The segment is expected to exhibit a similar kind of trend during the forecasting period.
Which region is generating high revenue in the market?
In 2020, the APAC emerged as the leading region by obtaining the highest revenue share in the automotive semiconductor market.