Global Container Security Market Size, Share & Industry Trends Analysis Report By Component (Products and Services), By Services Type, By Organization Size, By Vertical, By Regional Outlook and Forecast, 2021 - 2027
Special Offering: Industry Insights | Market Trends | Highest number of Tables | 24/7 Analyst Support
Get in-depth analysis of the COVID-19 impact on the Container Security Market
Market Report Description
The Global Container Security Market size is expected to reach $3.9 billion by 2027, rising at a market growth of 23.5% CAGR during the forecast period.
Container security is a collection of tools, rules, and protocols aimed at improving the security capabilities of container applications in order to prevent misconfigurations from causing security and risk. Furthermore, a container application is a self-contained, independent software unit with full internal code that enables suppliers to construct a separate infrastructure for running and testing apps. Furthermore, docker security provides numerous layers of files that operate as a collection of instruments for constructing a docker container, which is similar to a snap in a virtual machine environment.
Development and operational teams save time and money by delivering software without having to continuously reconfigure infrastructure. Because containers do not need hypervisors, a significant portion of this savings comes from lower hypervisor licence costs. Containers are simple and nimble, with a much lower computational footprint, removing the requirement for IT operations and DevOps teams to be concerned about underlying architecture while deploying applications.
Containers and the containerization ecosystem have evolved dramatically since Docker was released. Consider the development of container runtimes and container-aware orchestration tools, as well as the introduction of container-focused cloud services and the proliferation of orchestration tools to handle use at scale. Datadog, a cloud monitoring company, discovered that over 24% of enterprises had embraced Docker as of June 2018, with Docker running on even more than 20% of all hosts.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
In case of security considerations, the coronavirus epidemic has posed new hurdles for businesses. In the first three quarters of 2021, the Identity Theft Research Center (ITRC) forecasts a 17 percent rise in US commercial data breaches compared to the same period in 2020. Between January and September 2021, there were 1,291 breaches, compared to 1,108 in 2020. Insurance businesses were the most hit by ransom ware attacks during first half of 2021, accounting for about 25% of all ransom ware assaults on Accenture's clients, according to Accenture. Organizations are looking forward to safeguarding their application development process utilizing container security platforms as a result of these types of cyber-attacks and system vulnerabilities.
Organizations that are constantly shifting toward remote work and depending heavily on cloud services are exposed to distributed denial of service and phishing malware assaults.
Market Growth Factors:
Rising threats and cybercrimes to drive requirement for container security platforms
The prevalence of automated and sophisticated cybercrimes is rising as technology advances. The vast majority of cyberattacks are carried out for monetary gain, resulting in significant financial and reputational damages for people, businesses, and governments. Web application vulnerabilities are on the rise, putting applications and networks at risk of security breaches and assaults like malware, ransomware, and exploit attacks. Ransomware like WannaCry, SamSam, Petya, BadRabbit and NotPetya have wreaked havoc on businesses and government agencies. Hafnium, a Chinese hacker gang, discovered Microsoft Exchange vulnerabilities in 2021, giving them access to the email accounts of approximately 30,000 enterprises in the United States and 250,000 internationally. Hafnium has historically focused on US enterprises and has gathered data from a variety of industries, including infectious disease researchers, legal firms, colleges, defence companies, political think tanks, and non-governmental organisations (NGOs).
Containers are increasingly being used by businesses to optimise their application operations
Containers are a lightweight software package that contains everything needed for development, running, libraries, tools and configuration. Container technology has developed as a cost-effective and less sophisticated alternative to virtual machines. When opposed to virtual machines, several containers operate on the same computer and share the kernel, boosting the efficiency of business processes. As a result, containers have been widely used for the virtualization of massive volumes of workloads. Container technology is likely to play a crucial role in quickening this shift as countries in the area focus on changing their conventional IT infrastructures into modernised ones.
Market Restraining Factors
Limited security budgets among startups/SMEs
Security is a major issue for businesses of all sizes, yet security spending is a worry for a number of businesses, including SMEs. SME security expenditures are insufficient to meet all security needs; as a result, businesses must choose which information assets are more vital in order to combat growing security threats. The substantial R&D costs associated with developing cutting-edge container security platforms result in premium pricing for container security solutions. Owing to the reduced cyber security budgets in emerging countries like Latin America and the Middle East and Africa, companies should think carefully about investing in these regions. According to a Ponemon Institute report published in 2018, around 70% of small and mid-sized firms are vulnerable to cyber-attacks and related dangers, but many lack the financial resources to use smart solutions to protect themselves.
Based on Component, the market is segmented into Products and Services. Based on Services Type, the market is segmented into Professional Services and Managed Services. Services play an important role in bringing the solution on board, providing training, and managing and sustaining the software. Consultants, solution specialists, and specialised project management teams who specialise in the design and implementation of key decision support software, tools, and services are among the companies that provide these services. Support and repair, deployment and installation, and training and consulting services are all part of the services category.
Organization Size Outlook
Based on Organization Size, the market is segmented into Large Enterprises and Small & Medium Enterprises (SMEs). In 2019, the big enterprise category led market growth, and this trend is expected to continue in the forecast years. The increased investment by major organisations in container security platform services is largely responsible for market development in this category.
Based on Vertical, the market is segmented into BFSI, Retail, IT & Telecom, Manufacturing, Healthcare, Government and Others. Container Orchestration and deployment are gaining traction in the IT and ITes sector. Deep Security for Containers offers modern threat defence techniques that provide exceptional protection, including scanning container images in the software-build pipeline and integrating security that can be automated to fit existing DevOps processes of ITes, ensuring that deadlines are met and applications are delivered quickly while being protected.
|Market size value in 2020||USD 955.5 Million|
|Market size forecast in 2027||USD 3.9 Billion|
|Historical Period||2017 to 2019|
|Forecast Period||2021 to 2027|
|Revenue Growth Rate||CAGR of 23.5% from 2021 to 2027|
|Number of Pages||274|
|Number of Tables||453|
|Report coverage||Market Trends, Revenue Estimation and Forecast, Segmentation Analysis, Regional and Country Breakdown, Competitive Landscape, Companies Strategic Developments, Company Profiling|
|Segments covered||Component, Organization Size, Vertical, Region|
|Country scope||US, Canada, Mexico, Germany, UK, France, Russia, Spain, Italy, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Brazil, Argentina, UAE, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Nigeria|
Based on Regions, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Latin America, Middle East & Africa. The market in Asia-Pacific is likely to develop at the fastest rate during the forecast period, due to a spike in cloud computing technology adoption in China and Japan, as well as increased activities by a major player in the area to push artificial intelligence-powered solutions.
Free Valuable Insights: Global Container Security Market size to reach USD 3.9 Billion by 2027
KBV Cardinal Matrix - Container Security Market Competition Analysis
The major strategies followed by the market participants are Acquisitions. Based on the Analysis presented in the Cardinal matrix; Microsoft Corporation and Google LLC are the forerunners in the Container Security Market. Companies such as Amazon.com, Inc., Cisco Systems, Inc., IBM Corporation are some of the key innovators in the Market.
The market research report covers the analysis of key stake holders of the market. Key companies profiled in the report include Cisco Systems, Inc., VMware, Inc., Palo Alto Networks, Inc., IBM Corporation, Microsoft Corporation, Juniper Networks, Inc., Google LLC, Amazon.com, Inc., Rapid7, Inc., and Crowdstrike Holdings, Inc.
Recent Strategies Deployed in Container Security Market
» Partnerships, Collaborations and Agreements:
- Jan-2022: Microsoft formed a partnership with Sysdig, cloud-native visibility, and security company. Under this partnership, Sysdig introduced cloud security for Microsoft Azure Cloud with configuration risk management and threat detection, which is developed on Sysdig’s runtime security technology. In addition, the Sysdig platform aimed to bring the latest continuous cloud security and compliance controls for Microsoft Azure together with prevailing vulnerability management, compliance, and threat detection for containers and Kubernetes.
- Nov-2021: Palo Alto Networks extended its partnership with Siemens, a German multinational conglomerate corporation and the largest industrial manufacturing company. The partnership aimed to upgrade the security of mission-critical networks and prevent the threat of cyberattacks on critical infrastructure.
- Nov-2021: Microsoft Defender collaborated with Corelight, a software company. Through this partnership, the customers would leverage Corelight to secure their entire IoT and OT environments with Microsoft 365 Defender and Defender for IoT within minutes while adding more detections based on encrypted traffic analysis and complementing Microsoft's MITRE ATT&CK coverage.
- Oct-2021: Google partnered with Sysdig, cloud-native visibility, and security company. Following this partnership, Sysdig would deliver cloud and container security solutions that help organizations address security and compliance needs.
- May-2021: CrowdStrike entered into a partnership with Google. Under this partnership, CrowdStrike integrated with Google Cloud to introduce a series of product integrations for delivering joint customers defense-in-depth security, comprehensive visibility, and workload protection at scale across hybrid cloud environments. The combination would enable more seamless sharing of telemetry and data between the two security platforms, helping maintain high levels of security across a customers’ entire cloud or hybrid environment.
- Nov-2020: Google Cloud collaborated with Qualys, a pioneer and leading provider of disruptive cloud-based IT, security, and compliance solutions. Under the Collaboration, companies would allow security and DevOps teams to set up automated security scans of container artifacts in Artifact Registry.
- Oct-2020: IBM collaborated with Snyk, a Boston-based startup cybersecurity company. Under this collaboration, IBM Cloud security capabilities would integrate with the Snyk Intel vulnerability database for enhancing enterprise workload's security. Additionally, the acquisition would enable developers to automatically find, prioritize and fix vulnerabilities in open-source dependencies and containers throughout their entire workflow.
- Sep-2020: Amazon Web Services (AWS) announced the expansion of its partnership with Sysdig, a software company. The partnership aimed to offer automated inline-image scanning for AWS Fargate containers via the Amazon Elastic Container Registry (ECR).
- Feb-2020: Rapid7 joined hands with Snyk, a Boston-based startup cybersecurity company. The collaboration focused on supporting application developers to build security into their systems earlier in the software development lifecycle.
» Acquisitions and Mergers:
- Jan-2022: Google took over Siemplify, a provider of security orchestration, automation, and response (SOAR). The acquisition aimed at integrating SOAR capabilities into its own Google Chronicle security solution.
- Nov-2021: CrowdStrike took over SecureCircle, delivering a SaaS-based cybersecurity service. Under this acquisition, CrowdStrike would leverage SecureCircle’s technology to modernize data protection and enable customers to secure data on, from, and to the endpoint. In addition, SecureCircle’s technology would allow CrowdStrike to address a complex problem and deliver a revolutionary solution by enforcing frictionless Zero Trust control at multiple levels, all delivered through CrowdStrike’s lightweight Falcon agent on the endpoint.
- Nov-2021: IBM Security took over ReaQta, developer of an innovative Endpoint Threat Response platform powered by A.I. The acquisition aimed at expanding IBM's capabilities in the extended detection and response (XDR) market, aligning with IBM's strategy to deliver security with an open approach that extends across disparate tools, data, and hybrid cloud environments.
- Oct-2021: Cisco completed the acquisition of Epsagon, serverless monitoring, and observability tool. The acquisition aimed at integrating the ability to Cisco for monitoring applications based on containers and serverless computing frameworks to its portfolio.
- Jul-2021: Rapid7 acquired IntSights Cyber Intelligence, external threat intelligence, and protection platform. Under this acquisition, IntSights would expand Rapid7’s detection capabilities portfolio by including an automatic collection of external threat intelligence that otherwise would require a small army of security analysts to collect.
- Jul-2021: IBM took over BoxBoat Technologies, a specialist in establishing containers and Kubernetes. Through this acquisition, IBM would expand container strategy and implementation services along with enhancing IBM’s hybrid cloud vision and drive Red Hat OpenShift adoption across the globe.
- Jul-2021: Microsoft acquired CloudKnox, the leader in CIEM and the only multi-cloud permissions management platform. The acquisition aimed at upgrading Microsoft’s push into zero-trust security, which ensures that only continuous verified users and devices are allowed access to corporate resources and restricts data on a least-privileged basis.
- Jun-2021: IBM completed the acquisition of Turbonomic, an Application Resource Management (ARM) and Network Performance Management (NPM) software, provider. The acquisition aimed at providing full-stack application observability and management to assure performance and minimize costs using AI to optimize resources.
- Jun-2021: Cisco took over Kenna Security, a SaaS risk and vulnerability intelligence platform. Following this acquisition, Cisco would add Kenna Security's industry-leading risk-based vulnerability management platform for solving critical security posture challenges by working cross-functionally to rapidly automate prediction, identification, prioritization, and remediation of cybersecurity threats.
- Apr-2021: Microsoft took over Kinvolk, the Kubernetes Linux experts. The acquisition aimed at bringing the expertise of the Kinvolk team to Azure, where they would be key contributors to the engineering development of Azure Kubernetes Service (AKS), Azure Arc, and future projects. In addition, it would expand Azure’s hybrid container platform capabilities and increase Microsoft’s upstream open-source contributions in the Kubernetes and container space.
- Mar-2021: CrowdStrike Holdings acquired Humio, a leading provider of high-performance cloud log management and observability technology. Through this acquisition, CrowdStrike expanded its eXtended Detection and Response (XDR) capabilities by ingesting and correlating data from any log, application, or feed to deliver actionable insights and real-time protection.
- Feb-2021: Rapid7 announced the acquisition of Alcide, a provider of a platform for securing Kubernetes. Through this acquisition, Alcide’s CWPP capabilities would integrate with Rapid7 existing posture management (CSPM) and infrastructure entitlements (CIEM) capabilities for providing customers with a cloud-native security platform that enables them to manage risk and compliance across their entire cloud environment.
- Feb-2021: Red Hat took over StackRox, a leader and innovator in a container and Kubernetes-native security. Through this acquisition, the company would be able to address issues in the development cycle while providing more cohesive security up and down the entire IT stack and throughout the application lifecycle. Additionally, StackRox would be working with RedHat to add security into container build and CI/CD processes.
- Jan-2021: Cisco acquired assets of Banzai Cloud, a privately held company, that specializes in deploying cloud-native applications securely, at scale, and in production. The acquisition aimed at expanding Cisco’s capabilities and expertise through its demonstrated experience with complete end-to-end cloud-native application development, deployment, runtime, and security workflows.
- Oct-2020: Cisco completed the acquisition of Portshift, a Kubernetes-native platform delivering security for containers and Kubernetes. Under this acquisition, Portshift’s team would bring cloud-native application security capabilities and expertise for containers and service meshes for Kubernetes environments to Cisco, further enabling cisco to move toward the delivery of security for all phases of the application development lifecycle.
- Sep-2020: CrowdStrike Holdings completed the acquisition of Preempt Security, secures all workforce identities to accelerate digital transformation. The acquisition aimed at expanding CrowdStrike’s Zero Trust capabilities and incorporating critical identity behavior data and analysis to help customers fortify their defenses and prevent identity-based attacks and insider threats.
- Jun-2020: IBM completed the acquisition of Assets from Spanugo, a world-leading company providing Cybersecurity Posture Assurance. The acquisition would enable IBM to upgrade its differentiated capabilities in security and compliance for their enterprise clients, including those in highly regulated industries.
- May-2020: VMware completed the acquisition of Octarine, an early-stage Kubernetes security startup. Through this acquisition, Octarine would enable the company to improve VMwareupgrade intrinsic security for containers (and Kubernetes environments), by embedding the Octarine technology into the VMware Carbon Black Cloud, and via deep hooks and combining with the VMware Tanzu platform.
- Apr-2020: Rapid7 completed the acquisition of DivvyCloud Corporation, a Cloud Security Posture Management (CSPM) company. The acquisition of DivvyCloud’s technology aimed at enabling Rapid7 to better serve its customers’ needs by helping them innovate more securely, and provide a robust set of compliance and remediation paths for those with modern cloud infrastructure.
» Product Launches and Product Expansions:
- Feb-2022: Juniper Networks introduced a cloud-based firewall service, Secure Edge. Through this platform, customers can analyze, smoothens, and apply existing security policies used on their SRX firewalls to the Secure Edge platform.
- Dec-2021: Microsoft introduced Microsoft Defender for Containers, a new cloud workload protection plan designed around the unique needs of container-based solutions including Azure Kubernetes Service, Amazon EKS, and on-prem environments. The new product focused on small-to-medium organizations with up to 300 users, along with protection against malware and ransomware, plus endpoint detection and response capabilities.
- Nov-2021: Palo Alto Networks rolled out Prisma Cloud 3.0, the industry's first integrated platform to shift security. The Prisma cloud capabilities would support customers to scale modern development as they can deploy more secure infrastructure and applications in cloud environments.
- Oct-2021: CrowdStrike expanded its CrowdStrike’s industry-leading Endpoint Detection and Response (EDR) capabilities with the launch of Falcon XDR. These expanded capabilities aimed to provide real-time detection and automated response across the entire security stack.
- Aug-2021: Juniper Networks rolled out the Cloud Workload Protection platform. This platform is designed for connecting and protecting applications against malicious actions in real-time within zero-trust data center architecture. The platform offers a safety net for applications and their workloads.
- Jul-2021: Rapid7 launched InsightCloudSec, the industry’s first fully-integrated Cloud-Native Security Platform (CNSP). The platform would help organizations to upgrade their cloud security programs through continuous security and compliance for complex cloud environments. It would also bring together cloud security posture management, infrastructure entitlements management, and infrastructure as code.
- Apr-2021: VMware Introduced expanded cloud workload protection capabilities to deliver security for containers and Kubernetes. These capabilities would help to increase visibility, enable compliance and enhance security for containerized applications from build to production in the public cloud and on-premises environments.
- Feb-2021: CrowdStrike expanded its Cloud Security Posture Management (CSPM) and Cloud Workload Protection (CWP) capabilities for the CrowdStrike Falcon platform. These Capabilities would deliver greater control, visibility, and security for cloud workloads and cloud-native applications from build to runtime.
Scope of the Study
Market Segments Covered in the Report:
- Products and
- Professional Services
- Managed Services
By Organization Size
- Large Enterprises
- Small & Medium Enterprises
- IT & Telecom
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of LAMEA
Key Market Players
List of Companies Profiled in the Report:
- Cisco Systems, Inc.
- VMware, Inc.
- Palo Alto Networks, Inc.
- IBM Corporation
- Microsoft Corporation
- Juniper Networks, Inc.
- Google LLC
- Amazon.com, Inc.
- Rapid7, Inc.
- Crowdstrike Holdings, Inc.
Unique Offerings from KBV Research
- Exhaustive coverage
- The highest number of market tables and figures
- Subscription-based model available
- Guaranteed best price
- Assured post sales research support with 10% customization free
What would be the size of container security market by 2027?
The global container security market size is expected to reach $3.9 billion by 2027.
What are the key driving factors and challenges in container security market?
Rising threats and cybercrimes to drive requirement for container security platforms are driving the market in coming years, however, limited security budgets among startups/SMEs limited the growth of the market.
What are the major top companies in the competitive landscape?
Cisco Systems, Inc., VMware, Inc., Palo Alto Networks, Inc., IBM Corporation, Microsoft Corporation, Juniper Networks, Inc., Google LLC, Amazon.com, Inc., Rapid7, Inc., and Crowdstrike Holdings, Inc.
Which segment acquired maximum revenue share of container security market in 2020?
The Products segment acquired maximum revenue share in the Global Container Security Market by Component 2020, thereby, achieving a market value of $2.5 billion by 2027.
Which region dominated container security market in 2020?
The North America is fastest growing region in the Global Container Security Market by Region 2020, and would continue to be a dominant market till 2027.