Global Pharmaceutical Packaging Market By Material (Plastics & Polymers, Paper & Paperboard, Glass, Surveillance & Monitoring, and Others), By Product (Plastic Bottle, Specialty Bags, Labels, Blister packing, Parenteral Container, Closures, and Other Products), By Region, Industry Analysis and Forecast, 2020 - 2026
Special Offering: Industry Insights | Market Trends | Highest number of Tables | 24/7 Analyst Support
Get in-depth analysis of the COVID-19 impact on the Pharmaceutical Packaging Market
The Global Pharmaceutical Packaging Market size is expected to reach $178.1 billion by 2026, rising at a market growth of 10.4% CAGR during the forecast period. Pharmaceutical packaging refers to the process of packaging pharmaceutical products by using materials that are compatible with drugs in order to protect, identify and prevent the integrity of the drug products.
The pharmaceutical industry has witnessed a significant rise in various developing countries like India, Brazil, and China due to the growing population, increasing disposable income, and rising focus on increasing life expectancy which is estimated to support the growth of the market. Additionally, the pharmaceutical packaging manufacturers increasingly aim towards sustainability by adopting recyclable and biodegradable material which is propelling the market growth. Furthermore, many companies are exploring the opportunities created by the increasing demand for convenient packaging types like auto-injectors and pre-filled syringes in the market.
The growth of the pharmaceutical packaging market is expected to witness a surge due to the increasing demand for user-friendly medicines like biologics. Biologics plays an important role in the treatment of diseases when any other treatments are not available. These are produced by using animals, microbes, human or plant cells and are most prone to contamination and heat sensitivity. As a result, the demand for specialized packing is estimated to increase which will further propel the growth of the market.
Based on Material, the market is segmented into Plastics & Polymers, Paper & Paperboard, Glass, Surveillance & Monitoring, and Others. The plastics & polymers material segment acquired the major revenue share and is expected to maintain its dominance during the forecast period. The Plastics & polymers segment includes various variants like polypropylene, polyethylene, polyvinyl chloride, terephthalate, and polystyrene, which are majorly utilized in the production of numerous pharmaceutical packaging products.
Based on Product, the market is segmented into Plastic Bottle, Specialty Bags, Labels, Blister packing, Parenteral Container, Closures, and Other Products. The plastic bottles segment has witnessed the highest growth in 2019. Plastic bottles are majorly utilized in packaging solid-dose Over-the-Counter (OTC) medicines, bulk, and the prescription dose of oral ethical drugs.
|Market size value in 2019||USD 101.8 Billion|
|Market size forecast in 2026||USD 178.1 Billion|
|Historical Period||2016 to 2018|
|Forecast Period||2020 to 2026|
|Revenue Growth Rate||CAGR of 10.4% from 2020 to 2026|
|Number of Pages||211|
|Number of Tables||324|
|Report coverage||Market Trends, Revenue Estimation and Forecast, Segmentation Analysis, Regional and Country Breakdown, Companies Strategic Developments, Company Profiling, Competitive Landscape|
|Segments covered||Material, Product, Region|
|Country scope||US, Canada, Mexico, Germany, UK, France, Russia, Spain, Italy, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Brazil, Argentina, UAE, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Nigeria|
Free Valuable Insights: Global Pharmaceutical Packaging Market to reach a market size of $178.1 billion by 2026
KBV Cardinal Matrix - Pharmaceutical Packaging Market Competition Analysis
Based on Regions, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Latin America, Middle East & Africa. Asia-Pacific region is expected to record the high CAGR during the forecast period. India, China, South Korea, and Japan are among the major markets of the region. Consistent economic growth along with the increasing population in this region is estimated to propel the demand for pharmaceutical products over the forecast period. Additionally, rising government rules & regulations for drug safety are anticipated to surge the growth of the market in this region.
The major strategies followed by the market participants are Acquisitions. Based on the Analysis presented in the Cardinal matrix; Mastercard, Inc., Becton, Dickinson and Company, International Paper Company, CCL Industries, Inc., Amcor PLC, and Berry Global Group, Inc. are the forerunners in the Pharmaceutical Packaging Market. Companies such as Westrock Company, AptarGroup, Inc., and O-I Glass, Inc. are some of the key innovators in the market.
The market research report covers the analysis of key stake holders of the market. Key companies profiled in the report include Becton, Dickinson and Company, CCL Industries Ltd., Amcor PLC, AptarGroup, Inc., O-I Glass, Inc. (Owens Illinois, Inc.), West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc., Berry Global Group, Inc., WestRock Company, International Paper Company, and Comar, LLC.
Recent Strategies Deployed in Pharmaceutical Packaging Market
» Partnerships, Collaborations, and Agreements:
- Dec-2020: Becton, Dickinson and Company came into a reseller agreement with iA, a leading-edge provider of software-enabled pharmacy automation solutions. The agreement aimed to integrate BD’s Rowa Pouch Packaging Solution into iA’s Symphony Software platform, with iA serving as the exclusive distributor of BD’s Rowa Pouch Packaging Solution in specific market categories around the United States.
- Oct-2020: O-I Glass collaborated with Krones AG, a German packaging and bottling machine manufacturer. Under this collaboration, the companies aimed to improve glass filling and packaging line speed and efficiency, improve agility and flexibility of responding to market trends, the innovation of advance and sustainable glass systems, and improvements in digital solutions like direct-to-glass digital printing technology.
- Nov-2019: West Pharmaceutical Services came into partnership with SCHOTT, a leading primary packaging solutions provider. The partnership aimed to integrate the SCHOTT iQ platform with West's Ready Pack system. The companies combined West components and SCHOTT's adaptiQ high-quality RTU glass vials and expanded the convenient, ready-to-use integration of West and SCHOTT products, which will be available on a small-quantity basis.
- Aug-2019: AptarGroup came into partnership with Nippon Closures Co., Ltd., a leading company in Japan for bottle closures. Following the partnership, the companies aimed to cross-license technology for tethered beverage closures. It is the first cross-license, registered intellectual property exchange between NCC and Aptar, which is focused on expanding this exchange into other areas.
» Acquisition and Mergers:
- Oct-2020: CCL Industries completed its acquisition of Graphic West International ApS. The acquisition expanded CCL industries' capabilities and geographic reach in digitally printed cartons for the pharmaceutical industry.
- Jan-2020: Comar took over iMARK Molding, a custom contract manufacturer focused on serving the medical device industry. Together, the companies provided additional best-in-class engineering and custom plastic molding and assembly services to Comar’s medical device, diagnostic, and pharmaceutical customers. The acquisition also supported Comar’s growth goal in the medical and pharmaceutical segments.
- Jul-2019: Berry Global Group acquired RPC Group Plc, Europe's largest supplier of plastic packaging. Together, the companies made a leading global supplier of value-added protective solutions and the largest plastic packaging companies.
- Jul-2019: International Paper acquired DS Smith’s two packaging businesses in North-Western France and Portugal. In this acquisition, the plastic division of DS Smith offered sustainable flexible packaging and dispensing solutions, plastics extrusion, injection moulded, and foam products to International Paper.
- Jun-2019: Amcor acquired Bemis Company, a global manufacturer of flexible packaging products and pressure-sensitive materials. The acquisition helped Amcor to add on its scale, capabilities, and footprint, which strengthened Amcor’s market position and generated significant value for shareholders.
- Mar-2019: WestRock took over Linkx Packaging Systems, an automated packaging machinery solutions provider. Following the acquisition, Linkx expanded the portfolio of automated packaging system offerings of WestRock to the customers.
» Product Launches and Product Expansion:
- Feb-2020: West Pharmaceutical Services launched two AccelTRA component line extensions, a Flip-Off Seal container closure system (CCS). This system is compatible with the 5mL Daikyo Crystal Zenith vial and the new Ready Pack system with SCHOTT's adaptiQ platform, which is the outcome of the West's partnership expansion with the leading packaging supplier.
- Jan-2020: Aptar launched the first-of-its-kind combination oxygen scavenging and moisture adsorption active packaging solution. The new technology uses the company’s patented 3-phase Activ-Polymer platform within its Activ-Film product configuration.
- Apr-2019: Amcor introduced AmLite Ultra Recyclable. It is the first packaging product built on the company’s revolutionary, more sustainable high-barrier polyolefin film. The new high-barrier laminate help in packaging a variety of food, home & personal care, and pharmaceutical products, and be recycled in prevailing polyolefin recycling streams.
Scope of the Study
Market Segments Covered in the Report:
- Plastics & Polymers
- Paper & Paperboard
- Surveillance & Monitoring
- Plastic Bottle
- Specialty Bags
- Blister packing
- Parenteral Container
- Other Products
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of LAMEA
Key Market Players
List of Companies Profiled in the Report:
- Becton, Dickinson and Company
- CCL Industries Ltd.
- Amcor PLC
- AptarGroup, Inc.
- O-I Glass, Inc. (Owens Illinois, Inc.)
- West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc.
- Berry Global Group, Inc.
- WestRock Company
- International Paper Company
- Comar, LLC
Unique Offerings from KBV Research
- Exhaustive coverage
- The highest number of market tables and figures
- Subscription-based model available
- Guaranteed best price
- Assured post sales research support with 10% customization free
Pharmaceutical Packaging Market Related Reports:
What would be the size of pharmaceutical packaging market by 2026?
The global pharmaceutical packaging market size is expected to reach $178.1 billion by 2026.
What are the key factors that drive pharmaceutical packaging industry?
There are several reason that cause high demand of this market one of them is increasing health awareness and adoption of updated regulatory standards.
Who are the top market players in the pharmaceutical packaging industry?
Becton, Dickinson and Company, CCL Industries Ltd., Amcor PLC, AptarGroup, Inc., O-I Glass, Inc. (Owens Illinois, Inc.), West Pharmaceutical Services, Inc., Berry Global Group, Inc., WestRock Company, International Paper Company, and Comar, LLC.
Which segment dominated the pharmaceutical packaging market in 2019?
The Plastics & Polymers market dominated the Global Pharmaceutical Packaging Market by Material 2019.
Which region dominated the pharmaceutical packaging market in 2019?
The North America market dominated the Global pharmaceutical packaging Market by Region 2019.