Global Tokenization Market By Component (Solution and Services), By Application (Payment Security, User Authentication and Compliance Management), By Tokenization Technique (API-Based and Gateway-Based), By Deployment Type (On-premise and Cloud), By Enterprise Size (Large Enterprises and Small & Medium Enterprises), By End User (BFSI, Retail & eCommerce, Government, Healthcare, Telecom & IT, Energy & Utilities, and Others), By Region, Industry Analysis and Forecast, 2020 - 2026
Special Offering: Industry Insights | Market Trends | Highest number of Tables | 24/7 Analyst Support
Get in-depth analysis of the COVID-19 impact on the Tokenization Market
Market Report Description
The Global Tokenization Market size is expected to reach $5.8 billion by 2026, rising at a market growth of 20.4% CAGR during the forecast period. Tokenization is considered as the process that removes the important data from your environment and substitutes it with these tokens. The majority of companies possess at least some confidential data within their systems, whether it is medical information, credit card data, Social Security number, or others that need safety and protection. Tokenization helps in taking out this data from your environment completely, and then it is substituted with tokens that are specific to every sort of information.
The prime factor that boosts the growth of the tokenization market is the rising need of protecting sensitive data & information from compromising. Tokenization refers to the process of substituting data with unique identification symbols which contain all the essential information of the data. The tokenization system has been extensively used in order to retain crucial data information from fraud. Providing protection from hackers & thieves, decreased PCI scope, offer online protection, and internal protection are some of the primary advantages of tokenization. Moreover, some significant factors as a surge in data breach and cyber-attacks across the globe are expected to create growth avenues for the tokenization market. The market is witnessing massive demand due to the extensive application of tokenization in the financial industry. Thus, the tokenization market is anticipated to witness high growth during the forecast period.
The concept of substituting crucial data with unique identification symbols that secure all the necessary information about the data while maintaining high security is termed tokenization. Tokenization enables the reduction of the amount of data an enterprise requires, has gained traction among small & mid-sized businesses to enhance the security of credit card & e-commerce payments while reducing the complexity & cost of compliance with industry norms and government standards.
Based on Component, the market is segmented into Solution and Services. The solution segment would procure the major market share over the forecast years. In order to safeguard the rising payment frauds & identity thefts, the tokenization solution is increasingly being adopted by numerous SMEs.
Based on Application, the market is segmented into Payment Security, User Authentication and Compliance Management. Payment security has gained considerable attention from eCommerce businesses because online shopping has increasingly gained massive traction. Using Tokenization, the disclosure of valuable personal data becomes hard even during the breach. Though tokenization cannot stop data breaches of businesses, it can decrease financial losses that could arise from potential breaches. Therefore, tokenization facilitates the process to enhance customer experience and keep up fraud prevention levels.
Tokenization Technique Outlook
Based on Tokenization Technique, the market is segmented into API-Based and Gateway-Based. The API-Based market dominated the Global Tokenization Market by Tokenization Technique 2019, growing at a CAGR of 19.3 % during the forecast period. The Gateway-Based market is expected to showcase a CAGR of 21.7% during the forecast period.
Deployment Type Outlook
Based on Deployment Type, the market is segmented into On-premise and Cloud. The cloud deployment mode is increasing at a faster rate in the tokenization industry. Cloud deployment solutions are consistently being adopted by SMEs as these solutions help SMEs to work more on their core competencies instead of investing capital in payment infrastructure. With the help of cloud-based solutions, companies can considerably reduce the costs associated with the software, hardware, storage, and technical staff.
Enterprise Size Outlook
Based on Enterprise Size, the market is segmented into Large Enterprises and Small & Medium Enterprises. SMEs segment is anticipated to witness a prominent growth rate during the forecast period. In order to stick to regulations & risks associated with frauds, the majority of SMEs are consistently deploying tokenization solutions & services. With an aim to protect their crucial data from network vulnerabilities & attacks, these SMEs prefer tokenization solutions. One of the main objectives of attackers that target SMEs is to enter into their application to gain access to customer information, payment details, and other sensitive information.
End User Outlook
Based on End User, the market is segmented into BFSI, Retail & eCommerce, Government, Healthcare, Telecom & IT, Energy & Utilities, and Others. The BFSI industry deals with a lot of money; therefore, it becomes a prime target of cybercriminals. The cybercriminals aim at this industry as it possesses a huge number of financial transactions. Therefore, the industry is consistently seeking advanced payment security products & services in order to protect its employees, customers, assets, branches, operations, and offices; hence, it acquires the major share of the tokenization market based on vertical.
|Market size value in 2019||USD 1.8 Billion|
|Market size forecast in 2026||USD 5.8 Billion|
|Historical Period||2016 to 2018|
|Forecast Period||2020 to 2026|
|Revenue Growth Rate||CAGR of 20.4% from 2020 to 2026|
|Number of Pages||334|
|Number of Tables||623|
|Report coverage||Market Trends, Revenue Estimation and Forecast, Segmentation Analysis, Regional and Country Breakdown, Companies Strategic Developments, Company Profiling, Competitive Landscape|
|Segments covered||Component, Application, Tokenization Technique, Deployment Type, Enterprise Size, End User, Region|
|Country scope||US, Canada, Mexico, Germany, UK, France, Russia, Spain, Italy, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Brazil, Argentina, UAE, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Nigeria|
Free Valuable Insights: Global Tokenization Market to reach a market size of $5.8 billion by 2026
KBV Cardinal Matrix - Tokenization Market Competition Analysis
Based on Regions, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Latin America, Middle East & Africa. The requirement for robust tokenization practices in APAC is anticipated to boost due to the rising number of supportive government initiatives toward managing financial frauds & compliance standards initiated by countries that aim to improve cybersecurity. Other aspects that boost the adoption of tokenization solutions are the rising utilization of smartphones for online transactions and online shopping, and the quick adoption of online transactions giving an invitation to various cyber threats. This has resulted in the expansion of the customer base, finally encouraging the urgent requirement to install tokenization solutions to protect & strengthen payment processes.
The major strategies followed by the market participants are Partnerships. Based on the Analysis presented in the Cardinal matrix; Mastercard, Inc., American Express Company, and Visa, Inc. are the forerunners in the Tokenization Market. Companies such as Micro Focus International PLC, Fiserv, Inc., TokenEx, LLC, CipherCloud, Inc., MeaWallet are some of the key innovators in the market.
The market research report covers the analysis of key stake holders of the market. Key companies profiled in the report include Fiserv, Inc., Mastercard, Inc., Visa, Inc., Micro Focus International PLC, OpenText Corporation (Liaison Technologies), American Express Company, MeaWallet (Invuo Technologies AB), CipherCloud, Inc., Futurex LP, and TokenEx, LLC.
Recent Strategies Deployed in Tokenization Market
» Partnerships, Collaborations, and Agreements:
- Feb-2021: Visa entered into a collaboration with Spreedly, a cloud-based payment infrastructure. Under this collaboration, Spreedly and Visa introduced an effort to further increase the adoption of network tokenization through Spreedly’s Payments Orchestration capabilities in Latin America.
- Dec-2020: Mastercard entered into a partnership with MatchMove and Tappy Technologies. Under this partnership, the companies embedded tokenization into a small, flexible chip that is linked to a variety of battery-less wearables and accessories like watchstraps or keyrings, turning them into safe and secure contactless payments devices.
- Nov-2020: Fiserv, Inc. collaborated with ExxonMobil, an oil and gas company. Following the collaboration, Fiserv aimed to enable ExxonMobil to provide a new omnichannel commerce experience within the enhanced Google Pay mobile application. By integrating innovation with their existing payment relationship with Fiserv, businesses like ExxonMobil can easily connect to Google Pay using the same rails for payment authorization and settlement that Fiserv already uses to serve the merchant’s brick-and-mortar locations and digital footprint.
- Nov-2020: Mastercard came into collaboration with SBI Cards. Under this collaboration, the companies launched their contactless payments on the SBI Card app. SBI card claimed it to be the first app of a credit card issuer in India to utilize Mastercard’s tokenization platform, Mastercard Digital Enablement Service (MDES), which enabled payment credentials to be safely tokenized and save in mobile devices.
- Sep-2020: Visa partnered with Google Pay, a digital wallet platform and online payment system. The partnership aimed to enable card-based payments through tokenization. By tokenization, Google Pay Android customers can use their debit or credit card to do payments by a safer digital token associated with their phone without a physical share of their credit or debit card details.
- Aug-2020: Fiserv joined hands with Federal Bank, a private sector bank in India. The collaboration aimed to support the launch of the Federal Bank credit card. It also enabled the digitization of the bank’s end-to-end card release and processing cycle. The bank also outsources the related operational processes to Fiserv.
- Jul-2020: Fiserv came into partnership with Bank of Baroda Financial Solutions (BFSL). Under this partnership, Bank of Baroda digitalized its end-to-end card issuance and processing cycle. The company also boosted the introduction of various products including tokenization, contactless credit cards, and a combination of it with branded wallets and virtual credit cards
- Jun-2020: Mastercard collaborated with Amazon, an American multinational technology company. Customers of Amazon in 12 countries across Latin America, North America, the Middle East, and Europe can have their stored card credentials tokenized. It replaced a consumer’s physical card number with a token, payment information is distinct to every individual transaction and utilized only by the vendors who requested it.
- Jun-2020: Visa Token Service came into collaboration with Ondot Systems, the digital card services platform for credit and debit issuers. Following the collaboration, the companies started tokenizing credential-on-file digital payments on behalf of their customers for an extra level of security. The collaboration of Visa helped Ondot to offer tokenization services by the company’s Card App interface to help the usage of Visa cards through digital wallets.
- May-2020: Futurex signed a partnership agreement with R3, the enterprise blockchain software firm. Together, the companies aimed to deliver a safe foundation for the Corda Enterprise platform, with embedded Futurex hardware security modules (HSMs). The HSM module added an important layer of security to blockchain execution by offering FIPS 140-2 Level 3-validated cryptography.
- May-2020: CipherCloud teamed up with FireEye, the intelligence-led security company. Together, the companies aimed to offer the industry’s first real-time protection of zero-day risks all over the enterprise, cloud, SaaS, and mobile environments. This solution also delivers 360-degree visibility by collecting and correlating risks from the enterprise network, cloud, SaaS, and mobile environments.
- Mar-2020: Fiserv entered into an agreement with the U.S. Bank. Under this agreement, the companies aimed to make it simpler and safer to interchange data for the customers between their U.S. Bank account and the Fiserv-enabled apps. By using an application programming interface (API), users can connect their financial data with the third-party applications which they choose, enabling easier access to utilize their money anywhere they want.
- Jan-2020: MeaWallet signed an agreement with Axepta BNP Paribas, a company specialized in the management of POS payment transactions. The agreement aimed to offer Merchant Tokenization to the Italian market. The company also enabled Merchant Tokenization as the latest capability for their customers.
» Acquisition and Mergers:
- Jan-2021: Fiserv acquired Ondot, a financial technology (fintech) company. Under this acquisition, Fiserv expanded its digital capabilities, improved its portfolio of integrated solutions to allow customers of all sizes to offer frictionless, digital-first, and personalized experiences to their customers.
- Oct-2019: Visa acquired the token services and ticketing businesses from Rambus. In this acquisition, Visa strengthened its tokenization capabilities besides card-based payments on the Visa network, to all the domestic card networks, account-based, and real-time payments, expanding the security and convenience of tokens to do more transactions than ever before.
- Feb-2019: Micro Focus acquired Interset, a worldwide leader in security analytics software. Under this acquisition, they offered intelligent and precise cyber-threat protection. The addition of the predictive analytics technology deepens the Micro Focus’ Security, Risk & Governance offerings and ranges it with the company’s strategy to assist clients to faster and precisely authorized and evaluated threats to digitally transform their businesses.
» Product Launches and Product Expansion:
- Jun-2020: Futurex launched the next generation of its VirtuCrypt financial cloud hardware security module (HSM) service. These services supported financial services company's critical payment systems cryptography and prime management requirements in the cloud.
- Jun-2019: CipherCloud launched new email security capabilities in its CipherCloud Zero Trust CASB+ platform. The new capabilities integrated zero trust threat prevention with industry-leading data protection technologies. The CipherCloud platform delivers innovative adaptive control enforcing zero trust cloud security with continuous risk assessment; zero-day threat protection and real-time blocking; and machine learning that detects compromised credentials and anomalous behaviors across cloud applications.
- Apr-2019: MeaWallet introduced a new payment tokenization solution that offers Mastercard, Visa, and American Express tokenization services through a single connection. MeaWallet Merchant Tokenization linked merchants, PSPs, and acquirers to the Mastercard Digital Enablement Service (MDES), the Visa Token Service (VTS), and the American Express Tokenization Service, to get the advantages from each of the worldwide interoperable and scalable tokenization platforms by the easier integration.
Scope of the Study
Market Segments Covered in the Report:
- Payment Security
- User Authentication
- Compliance Management
By Tokenization Technique
By Deployment Type
By Enterprise Size
- Large Enterprises
- Small & Medium Enterprises
- Retail & eCommerce
- Telecom & IT
- Energy & Utilities
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of LAMEA
Key Market Players
List of Companies Profiled in the Report:
- Fiserv, Inc.
- Mastercard, Inc.
- Visa, Inc.
- Micro Focus International PLC
- OpenText Corporation (Liaison Technologies)
- American Express Company
- MeaWallet (Invuo Technologies AB)
- CipherCloud, Inc.
- Futurex LP
- TokenEx, LLC
Unique Offerings from KBV Research
- Exhaustive coverage
- The highest number of market tables and figures
- Subscription-based model available
- Guaranteed best price
- Assured post sales research support with 10% customization free
Tokenization Market Related Reports:
What would be the value of global tokenization market by 2026?
The tokenization market size is projected to reach USD 5.8 billion by 2026.
What are the factors that anticipated to drive tokenization market trends?
There are several reason that cause high demand of this market one of them is rising preferences of customers toward contactless payments as a result of COVID-19 outbreak.
Which segment dominated the tokenization market in 2019?
The BFSI market dominated the Global Tokenization Market by End User 2019.
Which region dominated the tokenization market in 2019?
The North America market dominated the Global tokenization Market by Region 2019.
At what CAGR is the tokenization market estimate to grow in the forecast period?
The expected CAGR of tokenization market is 20.4% from 2020 to 2026.