Global Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) Market Size, Share & Industry Trends Analysis Report By Type (Communications Intelligence and Electronic Intelligence), By Application (Airborne, Naval, Ground, Space and Cyber), By Regional Outlook and Forecast, 2022 - 2028
Special Offering: Industry Insights | Market Trends | Highest number of Tables | 24/7 Analyst Support
Get in-depth analysis of the COVID-19 impact on the Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) Market
Market Report Description
The Global Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) Market size is expected to reach $16.7 billion by 2028, rising at a market growth of 4.5% CAGR during the forecast period.
Signals intelligence (SIGINT) is a type of intelligence collection that uses signals to obtain information. These signals could come from humans or from technological signals that aren't used in the communication industry. Intelligence collection management comprises signals intelligence as a sub-part. The spreading fear-based tyranny, growing defense spending plans of real nations throughout the world, and modernization are the major driving factors for the signals intelligence (SIGINT) market. These techniques, which are used by both new and established firms, assist them in making investment decisions in the signal intelligence (SIGINT) market.
The technological suite includes a variety of radars, sensors, sonars, and a command-and-control center, as well as a dedicated sensor suite for rapid interception boats. The security solution can detect and identify both surface and underwater threats, making it easier for security teams to respond quickly. The SIGINT market in satellites or space, on the other hand, is a critical asset for guard and security operations, especially when planning activities and mission organizations remotely. Satellites are aware of providing crucial risk estimations and a significant dimension of strategic assistance to leaders and combatants.
Even if a signal is human communications (such as a radio), intelligence analysts must be aware of its existence. If the targeting function discovers that a country possesses a radar that works in a specific frequency band, the initial step is to spot an area where such a radar is functioning using a sensitive receiver with one or more antennas that hear in every direction. The next stage is to locate the radar once it has been identified as being in the region.
If operators are aware of the likely frequency of broadcasts of interest, operators can employ a set of receivers that are tuned to those frequencies. Prior to any filtering of signals that do not sum into the information being communicated, these are the frequency (horizontal axis) vs power (vertical axis) produced at the transmitter. If received energy on a specific frequency triggers a recorder, it may also notify a human to hear the signals if the person is audible i.e., COMINT. If the frequency is unknown, the operators can use a spectrum analyzer to look for power on primary or side band frequencies. The spectrum analyzer's data is then used to adjust receivers to specific signals. For example, the true information lies at 800 kHz and 1.2 MHz in this reduced spectrum.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
During the COVID-19 pandemic, the market for signal intelligence (SIGINT) is expected to develop dramatically. Government monitoring measures have increased significantly over the world as a result of this pandemic, particularly by the use of cell phone applications. While novel applications may have practical consequences for pandemic preparedness, the participatory or volunteer nature conceals the connection between health data and traditional government monitoring methods, making effective oversight impossible. This is owing to the ethical and legal ramifications of surveillance strategies; public health officials have been wary of employing government-led intelligence tools like signals intelligence (SIGINT).
Market Growth Factors
Growing prevalence of signal intelligence within the public domain
Although SIGINT systems are mostly employed by the government and defense industry, they are increasingly being used in other industries such as marine domain awareness, RF spectrum mapping, eavesdropping, blocking, and hijacking of satellite communications, and cyber-surveillance. The most established commercial SIGINT application is marine domain awareness, which provides an effective knowledge of any vessels or objects in the maritime domain that could have an impact on security, safety, economy, or the environment. SIGINT systems are increasingly used in a variety of industries for protection and security.
Increasing terrorist attacks and defense budgets
The rising threat of terrorism in countries is prompting more governments to increase defense spending. In addition, growing terrorism, rising defense budgets in important countries across the world, and the upgrade or substitution of an ageing defense system will all help to push the SIGINT demand. Also, there is an increase in the use of electronic intelligence in a range of industries. The US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) disclosed that it is pursuing signal-processing technology to expand microwave signal operating bandwidth and real-time RF detection and recognition capabilities for coming generations of signals intelligence (SIGINT).
Market Restraining Factors
The greater cost incurred in signals intelligence system implementation
Budgetary constraints and a scarcity of skilled personnel make it difficult for militaries to adopt advanced and innovative technologies and products. The deployment of modern communication systems is frequently hampered by financial constraints. Countries that are recovering from economic hardship have expressed a desire to reduce their defense budgets. To cut expenses, countries all over the world are studying and inviting innovative alternatives to military systems. As a result, the SIGINT industry is transitioning from defense to commercial.
Based on the Type, The Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) market is bifurcated Communications Intelligence (COMINT) and into Electronic Intelligence (ELINT). Electronic Intelligence segment garnered a significant revenue share in the signals intelligence (SIGINT) market in 2021. ELINT solutions assist in achieving universal situational awareness, air-force management, and extensive collaborative mission planning. In addition, the solutions are crucial in making real-time decisions. These factors are expected to boost the size of the signals intelligence industry in the coming years.
Based on the application, the signals intelligence (SIGINT) market is fragmented into Airborne, Ground, Naval, Space, and Cyber. The Airborne segment acquired the highest revenue share in the signal intelligence (SIGINT) market in 2021. Airborne SIGINT systems detect, classify, position, and monitor communication and noncommunication emitters to give national and tactical users with full-spectrum knowledge and actionable intelligence. High altitude operation in harsh climatic conditions is possible with the liquid-cooled sensor systems.
|Market size value in 2021||USD 12.4 Billion|
|Market size forecast in 2028||USD 16.7 Billion|
|Historical Period||2018 to 2020|
|Forecast Period||2022 to 2028|
|Revenue Growth Rate||CAGR of 4.5% from 2022 to 2028|
|Number of Pages||183|
|Number of Tables||273|
|Report coverage||Market Trends, Revenue Estimation and Forecast, Segmentation Analysis, Regional and Country Breakdown, Competitive Landscape, Companies Strategic Developments, Company Profiling|
|Segments covered||Type, Application, Region|
|Country scope||US, Canada, Mexico, Germany, UK, France, Russia, Spain, Italy, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Brazil, Argentina, UAE, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Nigeria|
By Region, the Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) market is analyzed in Asia Pacific, North America, Europe, and LAMEA. North America emerged as the leading region in the signals intelligence (SIGINT) market with the largest revenue share in 2021. This is owing to rising security and border concerns from neighboring countries. Increased investments in the regional SIGINT industry have been aided by technological improvements and strong economic development in various countries of the region. The fast-growing economies in this region are beefing up their defense capabilities. This is due to technological advancements, the market for SIGINT solutions and systems in Canada is also expanding.
Free Valuable Insights: Global Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) Market size to reach USD 16.7 Billion by 2028
KBV Cardinal Matrix - Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) Market Competition Analysis
The major strategies followed by the market participants are Partnerships. Based on the Analysis presented in the Cardinal matrix; Lockheed Martin Corporation, Raytheon Technologies Corporation, General Dynamics Corporation, and Northrop Grumman Corporation are the forerunners in the Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) Market. Companies such as Thales Group S.A., L3Harris Technologies, Inc., and BAE Systems PLC are some of the key innovators in Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) Market.
The market research report covers the analysis of key stake holders of the market. Key companies profiled in the report include BAE Systems PLC, L3Harris Technologies, Inc., General Dynamics Corporation, Thales Group S.A., Elbit Sytems Ltd., Raytheon Technologies Corporation, Lockheed Martin Corporation, Leonardo SpA, Northrop Grumman Corporation, Cobham Limited (Eaton Corporation PLC).
Strategies deployed in Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) Market
» Partnerships, Collaborations and Agreements:
- Oct-2021: BAE Systems teamed up with Sierra Nevada, a privately held aerospace and national security contractor, based in America. This collaboration aimed to create a prototype that would work to detect, identify and track radio frequency emissions as part of USAF’s Global High-altitude Open-system Sensor Technology program. The GHOST system would be developed to analyze electronic signals and operators to gain insight into adversarial activity.
- Oct-2021: Northrop Grumman signed an agreement with U.S. Air Force. This agreement aimed to complete the design of a next-generation, open standards-based signals intelligence (SIGINT) sensor for high-altitude intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance (ISR) platforms. Under this agreement, the company would provide a design of a prototype sensor comprising airborne and ground elements with a unique, open standards-based hardware and software architecture that can be scaled and configured to fly on many types of manned and unmanned Air Force aircraft.
- Jul-2021: Lockheed Martin signed a Memorandum of Understanding with Israel Aerospace Industries. Under this agreement, the entities would explore potential joint prospects in areas like research and development, production, marketing, and other activities.
- May-2021: Raytheon Technologies signed an agreement with the U.S. Air Force's Distributed Common Ground System. Under this agreement, RI&S would enhance its mission domain knowledge to deliver high mission availability in assistance of end-to-end operations from developing a mission plan for an airborne sensor to receiving data, processing that data, and then either producing a report, storing it, or improving it by merging it with other data.
- Feb-2021: Thales Group signed an agreement with the French defense procurement agency (DGA). The entities aimed to upgrade the French forces' important signals monitoring, direction finding, and spectrum analysis capabilities. Under this agreement, the tactical SIGINT program would upgrade the electronic warfare capabilities of front-line units, offering a set of high-performance portable or vehicle-mounted assets suitable with the latest communications technologies.
» Product Launches and Product Expansions:
- Nov-2021: Thales Group introduced the CERES space system satellites to the French Armament General Directorate (DGA). This new product aimed to enable France with its first satellite system for signal intelligence, thus confirming the ability to act as the main contractor for French space-based intelligence systems. CERES is created to detect and geo-locate electromagnetic signals from radio communication systems and radars from areas that surface sensors cannot reach.
- Sep-2020: L3Harris Technologies expanded its product line with RASISR (Rapid, Adaptable, Smart, Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance). This new product is the new universal signals intelligence (SIGINT) pod with the capacity to host L3Harris’ full-spectrum SIGINT capability and other high-performance sensors for many platform types comprising high-speed aircraft and business jets.
- Sep-2020: BAE Systems expanded its product line with the Riptide UUV-12, the unmanned undersea vehicle portfolio. This new product line would align with the modular, open architecture-based UUV platform to match expanding applications and requirements.
- Aug-2020: Leonardo introduced the Spider, a new Electronic Warfare (EW) communications intelligence (COMINT) product for the eight Radio Frequency (RF) antennas included inside the system. This new product can be integrated with Leonardo’s SAGE Electronic Surveillance Measures/electronic intelligence (ESM/ELINT) system to deliver a full signals intelligence (SIGINT) capability by a single mission interface. In addition, Spider can show operators an accurate picture of the activities of hostile forces.
Scope of the Study
Market Segments Covered in the Report:
- Communications Intelligence
- Electronic Intelligence
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of LAMEA
Key Market Players
List of Companies Profiled in the Report:
- BAE Systems PLC
- L3Harris Technologies, Inc.
- General Dynamics Corporation
- Thales Group S.A.
- Elbit Sytems Ltd.
- Raytheon Technologies Corporation
- Lockheed Martin Corporation
- Leonardo SpA
- Northrop Grumman Corporation
- Cobham Limited (Eaton Corporation PLC)
Unique Offerings from KBV Research
- Exhaustive coverage
- The highest number of Market tables and figures
- Subscription-based model available
- Guaranteed best price
- Assured post sales research support with 10% customization free