Global Optical Detector Market Size, Share & Industry Trends Analysis Report By Type (Extrinsic and Intrinsic), By Sensor Type, By End Use (Consumer Electronics, Medical, Automotive, Industrial), By Regional Outlook and Forecast, 2022 - 2028
Special Offering: Industry Insights | Market Trends | Highest number of Tables | 24/7 Analyst Support
Get in-depth analysis of the COVID-19 impact on the Optical Detector Market
Market Report Description
The Global Optical Detector Market size is expected to reach $5.9 billion by 2028, rising at a market growth of 10.1% CAGR during the forecast period.
An optical detector, also called a photodetector, is a device that turns light impulses into electrical signals, which can be amplified and processed. The optical detector is as important as the optical fiber and the light source in any fiber optic system. The performance of a fiber optic communication connection can be determined via an optical detector. Semiconductor photodiodes are the most frequent detectors in optical fiber systems because they have outstanding performance, are compact, and are inexpensive. Silicon, germanium, GaAs, InGaAs, and other semiconductor photodiodes are used.
A detector in a standard photo-research system measures the radiant intensity utilized to elicit photo-response in a sample, as well as the radiant intensity generated by the sample in response to the light or other simulation. After the beam has been divided into its component wavelengths, the measurement is frequently performed. Light signals are transformed into electrical impulses, which are subsequently amplified, processed using signal-to-noise-reduction devices, and displayed. Computers are commonly used to provide measurements in a user-friendly format and in connection to other parameters like wavelength and time.
These are then subdivided into different types of response-generating processes. Some systems use wavelength and temporal response altering phosphorescent accessories to adjust them to a specific UV measurement environment. Optical detector systems are normally made up of actual detector elements bundled with the necessary cooling, bias, and signal processing circuitry. Numerous software alternatives for this process are available. Various figures of merit are used to describe several detectors.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
Multiple factors are responsible for the downfall of the optical detector market, including supply chain interruptions, international trade barriers, falling consumer demand, and restricted market potential. Furthermore, the semiconductor industry's collapse has reduced demand for sensing devices dramatically. In addition, several manufacturing plants went out of operation during the pandemic, including those in the automotive, packaging, and logistics industries. Sensor production has been significantly affected by the COVID-19 infection, which has caused manufacturing plants all around the world to temporarily shut down in order to prevent the infection from spreading.
Market Growth Factors
Increasing applications of optical detectors
The utilization of optical detectors is significantly increasing across several sectors in the industry. Different industries are currently showcasing a significant demand for optical detectors or sensors that provide precise output. These sensors are capable of detecting things of various sizes as well as sensing a variety of materials. They also have a wide sensing range. The demand for these photodetectors is constantly growing as businesses strive to improve their production efficiency without sacrificing product quality. Optical detectors are cost-effective as well as highly durable, due to which, the various manufacturers are incorporating these sensors into their manufacturing or assembly lines.
Increasing demand due to food safety concerns
Food safety, quality, and provenance have all become subject of major concern due to recent food crises. The advent of a low-cost, reliable, and portable chemical detection technology, like an optical detector, can aid in addressing these concerns. Various researchers have shifted their focus to building optical chemical sensors to help them achieve this goal. Because of its low sensitivity to electromagnetic noise, interoperability with optical fibers, and multiplexing capability, OCS technology is a potential alternative to electrodes as well as other chemical-sensing devices.
Market Restraining Factors
Prevalence of alternatives across the market
Magnetic rotary sensors are a viable option if dirt, dust, oil, humidity, and other impurities that typically degrade the performance of optical detectors are a concern. The new generation of advanced and high-end magnetic rotational position sensors provides consumers with an extra incentive, as the total system cost is typically much lower than that of an equivalent optical detector or resolver. Magnetic rotatory sensors offer enhanced angle measurement accuracy even at very high rotation rates due to their DAEC (dynamic angle error compensation) technology. The maximum resolution of the ABI output is significantly higher in magnetic rotatory sensors to above 4,000 steps/1,000 pulses per revolution in decimal mode as well as 4,096 steps/1,024 pulses per revolution in binary mode, allowing a larger range of optical detectors to be substituted.
Based on Type, the market is segmented into Extrinsic and Intrinsic. In 2021, the extrinsic segment acquired the largest revenue share of the optical detector market. The increasing demand for this segment is attributed to the increasing adoption in the manufacturing of healthcare devices. Full bio-sensing solutions for constant heart-rate tracking, heart variability, and oxygen saturation are available in optical health sensor ICs for body-wearable applications, which measure health and wellbeing along with full bio-sensing solutions for consistent heart-rate tracking, heart rate fluctuation, and oxygen saturation
Sensor Type Outlook
Based on Sensor Type, the market is segmented into Image sensor, Fiber Optic Sensor, Photoelectric Sensor, and Ambient Light and Proximity Sensor. In 2021, the fiber optic sensor segment garnered a substantial revenue share of the optical detector market. The increasing growth of this segment is owing to the high sensitivity along with increased immunity to electromagnetic interference of fiber optic sensors.
End Use Outlook
Based on End Use, the market is segmented into Consumer Electronics, Medical, Automotive, Industrial, and Others. In 2021, the consumer electronics segment procured the largest revenue share of the optical detector market. The growth of this segment is rapidly rising due to the increasing utilization of photodetectors in various industries. Consumer interest in technology-integrated items is likely to grow in the coming year.
|Market size value in 2021||USD 3 Billion|
|Market size forecast in 2028||USD 5.9 Billion|
|Historical Period||2018 to 2020|
|Forecast Period||2022 to 2028|
|Revenue Growth Rate||CAGR of 10.1% from 2022 to 2028|
|Number of Pages||212|
|Number of Tables||369|
|Report coverage||Market Trends, Revenue Estimation and Forecast, Segmentation Analysis, Regional and Country Breakdown, Companies Strategic Developments, Company Profiling|
|Segments covered||Type, Sensor Type, End-use, Region|
|Country scope||US, Canada, Mexico, Germany, UK, France, Russia, Spain, Italy, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Brazil, Argentina, UAE, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Nigeria|
Based on Regions, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Latin America, Middle East & Africa. In 2021, North America accounted for the largest revenue share of the optical detector market, Numerous regional enterprises are already producing future sensors and inventing solutions to address the expanding market for light management extrinsic.
Free Valuable Insights: Global Optical Detector Market size to reach USD 5.9 Billion by 2028
The market research report covers the analysis of key stake holders of the market. Key companies profiled in the report include Analog Devices, Inc., STMicroelectronics N.V., ams-OSRAM AG, Rohm Semiconductors Co., Ltd., Hamamatsu Photonics K.K., Vishay Intertechnology, Inc., Excelitas Technologies Corp., Leuze electronic GmbH + Co. KG, and Fotech Group Limited.
Strategies Deployed in Optical Detector Market
» Partnerships, Collaborations and Agreements:
- Oct-2019: Leuze electronic teamed up with TEPM, a distributor of electronics. Through this collaboration, Leuze aimed to strengthen its prevalence across the African continent. In addition, TEPM would become a distributor of Leuze's electronics to offer Leuze's service and product portfolio to customers across the region.
» Product Launches and Product Expansions:
- Jun-2022: STMicroelectronics rolled out VL53L8 dToF sensor in partnership with Metalenz, the first company to commercialize meta-optics. The new product aimed to offer precise measurement of the time a photon consumes in travelling to and reflecting back from a surface when at the speed of 299,792,458 meters/sec.
- Dec-2021: ams-OSRAM introduced TMF8820, TMF8821, and TMF8828, new devices for multi-object and multi-zone detection in its dToF modules portfolio. This product expansion aimed to offer more information to system manufacturers with its sensor with the ability to monitor the environment and make the appropriate decisions. In addition, the new products would distribute their detection area into different zones in order to gather more high-quality information.
- Oct-2021: ROHM released the RLD90QZW3, a high optical output laser diode for applications, like service robots and AGVs. The new 75W infrared high optical output laser diode is developed for LiDAR and utilized in spatial recognition and distance measurement across 3D ToF systems.
- Sep-2021: Excelitas Technologies introduced the EXACTD-332 sensor in its EXACTD laser warning detectors range. With this expansion, the company aimed to offer a unique solution that incorporates all the optical sensing for laser warning along with angular resolution within a TO-8 package.
- Jun-2018: Analog Devices launched ADPD188BI, an integrated optical module. This launch aimed to offer a cutting-edge design Along with closer proximity of the LED to the photodiode to decrease circuit board size and enable compact smoke detectors, which are more architecturally suitable for commercial and residential use.
» Acquisitions and Mergers:
- Jun-2021: Excelitas Technologies took over PCO, a leader in designing, developing, and manufacturing scientific CMOS cameras. Following this acquisition, the company aimed to integrate PCO's high-end imaging products and capabilities into its portfolio of illumination, sensing, and optical products in order to enable Excelitas to leverage its application knowledge and product breadth to offer deeper end-to-end customer solutions in industrial and life science markets.
- Jul-2020: Analog Devices completed its acquisition of Maxim, a leader in linear and mixed-signal integrated circuits. Following this acquisition, the company would integrate Maxim's embedded sensor technologies into its portfolio in order to address the most complex problems of its customers with increased depth and breadth of Analog's combined technology and expertise.
- Dec-2018: Excelitas Technologies acquired Axsun Technologies, a vendor of MEMS-based light engines. Through this acquisition, the company aimed to expand its high-performance photonics solutions portfolio for Industrial and Medical markets.
- Jul-2018: Excelitas took over Research Electro-Optics, a volume manufacturer of high-precision optical components. This acquisition aimed to deliver a wide range of capabilities and products for OEM customers as well as Defense Prime Contractors looking for single-source reliability and convenience for high-performance optical, illumination, and detection solutions.
Scope of the Study
Market Segments Covered in the Report:
By Sensor Type
- Image sensor
- Fiber Optic Sensor
- Photoelectric Sensor
- Ambient Light and Proximity Sensor
By End Use
- Consumer Electronics
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of LAMEA
Key Market Players
List of Companies Profiled in the Report:
- Analog Devices, Inc.
- STMicroelectronics N.V.
- ams-OSRAM AG
- Rohm Semiconductors Co., Ltd.
- Hamamatsu Photonics K.K.
- Vishay Intertechnology, Inc.
- Excelitas Technologies Corp.
- Leuze electronic GmbH + Co. KG
- Fotech Group Limited
Unique Offerings from KBV Research
- Exhaustive coverage
- The highest number of Market tables and figures
- Subscription-based model available
- Guaranteed best price
- Assured post sales research support with 10% customization free