Global Insomnia Market Size, Share & Industry Trends Analysis Report By Distribution Channel (Hospital, Retail, and Others), By Therapy Type (Pharmacological and Non-Pharmacological), By Regional Outlook and Forecast, 2022 - 2028
Special Offering: Industry Insights | Market Trends | Highest number of Tables | 24/7 Analyst Support
Get in-depth analysis of the COVID-19 impact on the Insomnia Market
Market Report Description
The Global Insomnia Market size is expected to reach $5.7 billion by 2028, rising at a market growth of 3.9% CAGR during the forecast period.
A common sleep disorder called insomnia can make it difficult to fall asleep, stay asleep, or wake up early and have trouble falling back asleep. Stress, bad sleeping habits, irregular sleep schedules, mental health conditions like physical illnesses and pain, anxiety and depression, medications, neurological issues, and specific sleep disorders are some of the common causes of insomnia.
The rise in the prevalence of distinct sleep disorders, including parasomnias as well as insomnia, and the rise in mental depression and other painful conditions, are the main factors driving the growth of the insomnia market size. Sleep issues are a result of mental depression. As a result, an increase in mental depression among the general population contributes to the growth of the insomnia market. Furthermore, taking some medications for a chronic condition over an extended period of time has some side effects that are thought to impair a patient's ability to sleep.
Additionally, the market for insomnia is expanding due to an increase in work-related stress. The increased workload and demanding work schedules result in poor sleep. Additionally, a lot of people including security guards work odd shifts, and the manufacturing sector is open around-the-clock. The quality and rhythm of sleep are impacted by these irregular work shifts. Also, a rise in the number of sleep diagnostics and centres for people with insomnia helps has been seen in the past few years. The centres for insomnia help people get better quality sleep, and the centres for sleep disorders are utilized as diagnostic testing facilities.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
It is anticipated that the COVID-19 outbreak will benefit the expansion of the market for insomniac remedies. Due to improperly functioning industries brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic, many workers lost their jobs, which contributed to an increase in stress levels in society. Additionally, some people around the world developed depression as a result of pandemic fear. As a result, the COVID-19 pandemic's increased incidence of insomnia a condition marked by stress and depression boosts the demand for drugs that treat insomnia and propel the market's expansion.
Market Growth Factors
Increasing Aging Population
According to studies, older people (defined as those 65 and older) appear to have an 11-fold increased risk of developing some types of cancer than younger people. The burden of cancer among the elderly would then increase as the world population ages over the following 20 years. Refractive errors, cataracts, sleep issues, and hearing loss are all fairly common in older people. A large ratio of old age people is facing sleeping issues worldwide. Thus, the rise in the aging population would result in an increasing number of insomnia cases which would further support the growth of the insomnia market over the forecast period.
Increasing Healthcare Costs
Rising healthcare costs and earlier disease diagnosis because of greater awareness of treatment options are factors that are anticipated to fuel the market growth over the course of the forecast period. The increasing size and number of funds invested in the healthcare industry by governments of different countries are one of the primary drivers of the market's growth. Governments from a number of nations boosted their investments in creating healthcare systems whenever the COVID-19 pandemic first started to spread. As the pandemic's impact lessens, various hospitals are now concentrating on using these resources to treat other severe diseases. The insomnia market is expanding as a result of rising healthcare investment.
Market Restraining Factors
High Cost Of Diagnosing And Treating Insomnia
The high cost of diagnosis and treatment is one of the major factors impeding the growth of the insomnia market. Additionally, the term "sleeping problem" covers a wide range of illnesses that have significant detrimental effects on an individual's health and incur high societal costs. Insomnia makes it difficult to carry out daily tasks and is associated with a heavy financial & medical burden many patients are completely disabled. Insomnia patients spent about two times as much on direct medical care each year as matched controls without condition. The market for insomnia is not expanding because of the high cost of the medication.
Distribution Channel Outlook
By distribution channel, the insomnia market is divided into hospital, retail and others. The retail segment recorded a substantial revenue share in the insomnia market in 2021. The market in this segment is growing as a result of the wide availability of pills for treatment of sleeping disorder in various retail stores. In addition, the market is also growing due to rising awareness of consequences of diseases such as insomnia. Also, the government is supporting the medicines for condition to be marketed in such stores.
Therapy Type Outlook
Based on therapy type, the insomnia market is segmented into non-pharmacological therapy, pharmacological therapy. In 2021, the pharmacological therapy segment dominated the insomnia market with the maximum revenue share. This is due to the rising prevalence of insomnia and the growing number of major manufacturers of therapeutic drugs for insomnia. The presence of pills for insomnia treatment and sleeping pills is wide all over the world. The market is expanding in this segment as a result of a large number of market players present all over the world.
|Market size value in 2021||USD 4.4 Billion|
|Market size forecast in 2028||USD 5.7 Billion|
|Historical Period||2018 to 2020|
|Forecast Period||2022 to 2028|
|Revenue Growth Rate||CAGR of 3.9% from 2022 to 2028|
|Number of Pages||149|
|Number of Tables||250|
|Report coverage||Market Trends, Revenue Estimation and Forecast, Segmentation Analysis, Regional and Country Breakdown, Companies Strategic Developments, Company Profiling|
|Segments covered||Therapy Type, Distribution Channel, Region|
|Country scope||US, Canada, Mexico, Germany, UK, France, Russia, Spain, Italy, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Brazil, Argentina, UAE, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Nigeria|
Region wise, the insomnia market is analyzed across the North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and LAMEA. In 2021, the North America region held the highest revenue share in the insomnia market. This is due to an increase in the prevalence of insomnia, a high incidence of stress at work, and a developed healthcare system, including the presence of insomnia centers in the region. Additionally, a rise in the number of patients suffering from chronic renal and kidney illnesses as well as the existence of a sizable number of insomnia clinics in this region are predicted to fuel market growth.
Free Valuable Insights: Global Insomnia Market size to reach USD 5.7 Billion by 2028
The market research report covers the analysis of key stake holders of the market. Key companies profiled in the report include Currax Pharmaceuticals LLC (Currax Holdings USA LLC), Eisai Co., Ltd., Merck Group, Pfizer, Inc., Vanda Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Cadila Healthcare Ltd. (Zydus Cadila), Sanofi S.A., Viatris, Inc., Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited, and Purdue Pharma L.P.
Strategies deployed in Insomnia Market
- Oct-2021: Currax expanded its geographical footprints in Brentwood by opening HQ in the region. This expansion aimed at expanding access to medicines, both generic and brand name.
- Dec-2020: Vanda Pharmaceuticals got FDA approval for the HETLIOZ capsule & liquid formulation, the first FDA-approved medication for patients with SMS. The product would be used for the treatment of adults & children, respectively, with nighttime sleep disturbances associated with Smith-Magenis Syndrome (SMS).
- Jun-2020: Sanofi expanded its geographical footprint in India. This expansion focused on producing Amaryl & Daonil tablets for blood glucose reduction, Frisium for seizures, and Stilnoct for insomnia in the region.
- Jun-2020: Eisai launched DAYVIGO CIV, the in-house discovered orexin receptor antagonist. This launch would address adults with insomnia, characterized by difficulties with sleep onset and sleep maintenance.
- Dec-2019: Eisai got FDA approval for DAYVIGO. Through this approval, DAYVIGO would be commercially available in 5 mg and 10 mg tablets following scheduling by the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA), which is expected to occur within 90 days.
- Sep-2019: Currax signed an agreement to acquire Nalpropion Pharmaceuticals, a biopharmaceutical company focused on the treatment of weight loss. This acquisition enables Currax to own the worldwide rights to CONTRAVE, one of the most prescribed weight-loss brand medications in the US.
- Sep-2019: Takeda and Lundbeck got Labour and Welfare (MHLW) approval of Trintellix. By this approval, Trintellix would be able to provide the treatment of depression and depressed state.
- Jul-2019: Zydus Cadila introduced Ramelteon tablets, USFDA-approved capsules used to treat insomnia. Ramelteon would be used in the treatment of insomnia associated with having trouble falling asleep.
Scope of the Study
Market Segments Covered in the Report:
By Distribution Channel
By Therapy Type
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of LAMEA
Key Market Players
List of Companies Profiled in the Report:
- Currax Pharmaceuticals LLC (Currax Holdings USA LLC)
- Eisai Co., Ltd.
- Merck Group
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Vanda Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Cadila Healthcare Ltd. (Zydus Cadila)
- Sanofi S.A.
- Viatris, Inc.
- Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Limited
- Purdue Pharma L.P.
Unique Offerings from KBV Research
- Exhaustive coverage
- The highest number of Market tables and figures
- Subscription-based model available
- Guaranteed best price
- Assured post sales research support with 10% customization free