Global Hydrogel-based Drug System Market By Polymer Origin (Synthetic, Natural and Hybrid), By Delivery Route (Ocular, Subcutaneous, Oral Cavity, Topical and Other Delivery Routes), By Regional Outlook, COVID-19 Impact Analysis Report and Forecast, 2021 - 2027
Special Offering: Industry Insights | Market Trends | Highest number of Tables | 24/7 Analyst Support
Get in-depth analysis of the COVID-19 impact on the Hydrogel-based Drug System Market
Market Report Description
The Global Hydrogel-based Drug Delivery System Market size is expected to reach $9.3 billion by 2027, rising at a market growth of 8% CAGR during the forecast period. Hydrogel refers to the three-dimensional polymeric networks that are proficient in absorbing small to large drug molecules. Thus, it is highly utilized in drug delivery applications. It becomes one of the potential drug delivery systems due to its biocompatibility and biodegradable properties along with an organized release profile. There were several studies conducted across the globe to develop the COVID-19 vaccine and some studies are still going on to develop an effective vaccine with the help of hydrogels, which showcase the future applications and opportunities of hydrogel-based drug delivery systems.
These hydrogel-based delivery systems leverage various therapeutically beneficial results of drug delivery and also showcase several clinical uses. Hydrogels offer spatial & temporal control throughout the release of several therapeutic agents that includes macromolecular drugs, small-molecule drugs, and cells. Due to the controllable degradability, tunable physical properties, and ability to preserve labile drugs from degradation, hydrogels operate as a platform where several physiochemical connections with the encapsulated drugs control their release.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
The global COVID-19 pandemic has impacted the growth of almost every sector and economy of nations across the globe. The imposed lockdown, travel ban, and other norms have significantly affected various domains of businesses. However, the COVID-19 as positively impacted the hydrogel-based drug delivery system market as various clinical trials of the vaccines require hydrogel, which is contributing its market growth.
In addition, there are many pharma companies that are highly using hydrogel to carry out their research activities regarding new drug development and other clinical studies. Due to this, the demand for hydrogel-based drug delivery systems in the market has increased and further creating new growth avenues for the global market over the forecast period.
Market Growth Factors:
Therapeutic values of the hydrogel-based drug delivery system
In the therapeutic field, drug delivery approaches need exceptional enhancements in developing safe transport systems to attain the required therapeutic effect and to eliminate the side effects. Biomimetic strategies including polymers explain advanced industrial products orientated to aimed therapy and controlled release.
Increasing clinical trials of various medicines, therapies, and vaccines
There are an increasing number of diseases prevailing across the globe, which needs proper medication facilities to improve patients’ health. In addition, the growing prevalence of chronic diseases is contributing to the increased demand for better medications, therapies, and vaccines. The outbreak of the global pandemic has also accelerated the number of clinical trials going on across the globe.
Market Restraining Factor:
Complicated manufacturing process
The development process of these hydrogel-based drug delivery systems with constant surface area is very complex, which is estimated to hamper the growth of the market. In addition, it becomes difficult for the companies to manufacture these systems for further usage due to their complex design. It would further restrict the adoption of these systems by various companies.
Polymer Origin Outlook
Based on Polymer Origin, the market is segmented into Synthetic, Natural and Hybrid. Hydrogel-based drug delivery systems are manufactured by using synthetic polymer and are becoming more popular with wide acceptance than naturally derived polymer due to the greater drug absorbing capability, improved lifetime, enhanced mechanical properties, and controllable degradation features. Poly starch, vinylpyrrolidone, and acrylic acid are broadly utilized synthetic polymers in drug delivery applications.
Delivery Route Outlook
Based on Delivery Route, the market is segmented into Ocular, Subcutaneous, Oral Cavity, Topical and Other Delivery Routes. The ocular segment garnered the maximum revenue share in the hydrogel-based drug delivery system marker in 2020. Hydrogels are generally utilized in ocular drug delivery applications as the hard and contact lenses are manufactured with the help of hydrogel films. Thus, it becomes easy to include therapeutic drugs into contact lenses.
|Market size value in 2020||USD 5.4 Billion|
|Market size forecast in 2027||USD 9.3 Billion|
|Historical Period||2017 to 2019|
|Forecast Period||2021 to 2027|
|Revenue Growth Rate||CAGR of 8% from 2021 to 2027|
|Number of Pages||159|
|Number of Tables||280|
|Report coverage||Market Trends, Revenue Estimation and Forecast, Segmentation Analysis, Regional and Country Breakdown, Companies Strategic Developments, Company Profiling|
|Segments covered||Product, Distribution Channel, Region|
|Country scope||US, Canada, Mexico, Germany, UK, France, Russia, Spain, Italy, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Brazil, Argentina, UAE, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Nigeria|
Based on Regions, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Latin America, Middle East & Africa. Asia Pacific region is anticipated to register the fastest growth rate in the hydrogel-based drug delivery system during the forecast period. The existence of a huge target population, enhancing access to healthcare, boosting demand for improved medical care in several therapeutic fields, and growing demand to reduce healthcare costs are among the major factors surging the market growth during the forecast period. Nations like India, China, and South Korea are some of the major markets, which would create bright growth prospects in this region.
Free Valuable Insights: Global Hydrogel-based Drug System Market size to reach USD 9.3 Billion by 2027
The market research report covers the analysis of key stake holders of the market. Key companies profiled in the report include Johnson & Johnson, Bausch Health Companies, Inc., Medtronic PLC, Galderma S.A., Endo International PLC, Ferring Holdings SA, Akorn Operating Company LLC, Tolmar Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Blairex Laboratories, Inc., and Ocular Therapeutix, Inc.
Recent Strategies Deployed in Hydrogel-based Drug System Market
- Jun-2021: Galderma got the approval for Restylane by FDA. Restylane is the company's first and only product in the U.S. made with XpresHAn Technology to Contour cheek enhancements and correction of midface contour deficiencies in adults of the age of 21 above.
- Jun-2021: Galderma entered into two exclusive 5-year license agreements with Sol-Gel Technologies, a clinical-stage dermatology company. These agreements are aimed at the commercialization of EPSOLAY and TWYNEO in the US. In these agreements, Galderma would commercialize Sol-Gel’s most improved investigational drug products utilizing Sol-Gel’s proprietary micro-encapsulation technology.
- Jun-2021: Ocular Therapeutix came into collaboration with Mosaic Biosciences, a developer of synthetic extracellular materials. This collaboration aims at the treatment of Dry Age-related Macular Degeneration (dAMD) and on the discovery & development of novel complement inhibitors with an expanded duration of activity.
- May-2021: Ocular Therapeutix received notification from FDA confirming that the company has fulfilled all post-approval study needs for ReSure Sealant, with a required update of the ReSure label showcasing the study outcomes. ReSure is well-versed by anterior segment surgeons and adds to the knowledge supporting its usage.
- Feb-2021: Akorn received approval of its abbreviated new drug application (ANDA) from the FDA for loteprednol etabonate ophthalmic gel, 0.5%. It is showcased for curing postoperative inflammation and pain after ocular surgery.
- Aug-2020: Bausch + Lomb introduced Bausch + Lomb INFUSE silicone hydrogel (SiHy) daily disposable contact lens. These lenses are the only SiHy daily disposable developed with a next-generation material incorporated with ProBalance Technology to assist in the maintenance of ocular surface homeostasis and also help in decreasing symptoms of contact lens dryness.
- May-2020: Bausch + Lomb introduced its first presbyopia-correcting IOL, LuxSmart, and its monofocal version, LuxGood. These solutions feature preloaded delivery systems and Pure Refractive Optics (PRO) Technology. LuxSmart and LuxGood include a hydrophobic material and showcase the release of the latest platform for Bausch + Lomb. In addition, a toric version utilizing the same platform would also be available, along with the monofocal and PC-IOLs.
- May-2020: Bausch + Lomb signed an exclusive licensing agreement with STADA Arzneimittel AG and Xbrane Biopharma AB. This agreement aimed to develop & commercialize a biosimilar candidate to Lucentis in the United States and Canada.
Scope of the Study
Market Segments Covered in the Report:
By Polymer Origin
By Delivery Route
- Oral Cavity
- Other Delivery Routes
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of LAMEA
Key Market Players
List of Companies Profiled in the Report:
- Johnson & Johnson
- Bausch Health Companies, Inc.
- Medtronic PLC
- Galderma S.A.
- Endo International PLC
- Ferring Holdings SA
- Akorn Operating Company LLC
- Tolmar Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Blairex Laboratories, Inc.
- Ocular Therapeutix, Inc.
Unique Offerings from KBV Research
- Exhaustive coverage
- The highest number of market tables and figures
- Subscription-based model available
- Guaranteed best price
- Assured post sales research support with 10% customization free
What would be the value of the global hydrogel-based drug system market by 2027?
The hydrogel-based drug system market size is projected to reach USD 9.3 billion by 2027.
What are the key driving factors and challenges in the hydrogel-based drug system market?
Increasing clinical trials of various medicines, therapies, and vaccines are driving the market in coming years, however, complicated manufacturing process limited the growth of the market.
Who are the top market players in the hydrogel-based drug system market industry?
Johnson & Johnson, Bausch Health Companies, Inc., Medtronic PLC, Galderma S.A., Endo International PLC, Ferring Holdings SA, Akorn Operating Company LLC, Tolmar Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Blairex Laboratories, Inc., and Ocular Therapeutix, Inc.
What has been the impact of COVID-19 on the global hydrogel-based drug system market?
Due to pandemic, the demand for hydrogel-based drug delivery systems in the market has increased and further creating new growth avenues for the global market over the forecast period.
Which segment shows a high revenue share of the hydrogel-based drug system market in 2020?
The natural segment acquired the largest revenue share in the hydrogel-based drug delivery system market in 2020.
Which region is leading the market?
The North America emerged as a leading region in the hydrogel-based drug delivery systems market in 2020.