Global Functional Mushroom Market Size, Share & Industry Trends Analysis Report By Application, By Product Type, By Distribution Channel, By Regional Outlook, Strategy, Challenges and Forecast, 2021 - 2027
Special Offering: Industry Insights | Market Trends | Highest number of Tables | 24/7 Analyst Support
Get in-depth analysis of the COVID-19 impact on the Functional Mushroom Market
Market Report Description
The Global Functional Mushroom Market size is expected to reach $13.6 billion by 2027, rising at a market growth of 8.7% CAGR during the forecast period.
Functional mushrooms, also known as medicinal mushrooms are relatively uncommon mushrooms that grow in dark forests, on fallen logs, or on the Himalayan plateau. These mushrooms are famous for being high in antioxidants and nutritional content, with a variety of health benefits. Because of their medical properties and superfood benefits, these mushrooms have been used for hundreds of years.
The popularity of these mushrooms has increased owing to the extensive study that has accompanied them over the years, as well as the increased demand for natural health remedies. Certain functional mushrooms can help in enhancing immune system, which would enable a person’s body to fight against infections more effectively.
Chaga mushrooms are a powerhouse of antioxidants, making them the strong product in the fight against free radicals and inflammation. It is a dark black mushroom that fights oxidative stress (which has been linked to skin aging), may prevent or reduce cancer growth, and has been proven to reduce LDL or bad cholesterol. The majority of research on chaga has been done on human cells and mice, yet all evidence points to this mushroom being beneficial for human consumption.
There are many people who are increasingly incorporating functional mushrooms in their diet. There are a wide range of functional mushroom products available in the market like mushroom powders. Additionally, searching a high-quality mushroom supplement is the simplest method to enrich a person’s diet. Functional mushroom supplements are not freshly available in supermarkets, but they can be used for a longer period of time in cooking, making smoothies, protein drinks, and teas.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
The outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic has significantly impacted the demand and growth of the functional mushroom market. Since supply chain was severely disrupted owing to the imposition of complete lockdown in many countries, the demand for functional mushroom supplements was declined in the market.
On the other hand, the growing awareness among people regarding the importance of maintaining a good health and better immune system along with the increasing adoption of nutraceuticals and dietary supplements would positively impact the demand for functional mushroom in the recovery phase of the pandemic.
Market Growth Factors:
Rising prevalence of cardiovascular and chronic diseases
The market for functional mushrooms is growing as the prevalence of cardiovascular disorders rises. Unhealthy diets, cigarette use, and physical inactivity are only a few of the key causes of cardiovascular disease, which elevate blood pressure and blood glucose levels, resulting in overweight and obesity. According to the World Health Organization, heart attacks and strokes account for four out of every five cardiovascular fatalities.
Rapid increase in the demand for functional foods and dietary supplements
Over the last two decades, people's lifestyles and eating habits have changed dramatically. This transition was fuelled by urbanisation and consumerism, which resulted in a massive rise in the use of synthetic food products, leading to an increase in the incidence of lifestyle diseases. Hence, people are becoming more aware of the issues. As a result, individuals are rapidly moving to functional foods and beverages, which are marketed as providing benefits beyond basic nutrition.
Marketing Restraining Factor:
Availability of numerous alternatives and lack of skilled workforce
There is an availability of various products and ingredients that are substitute of functional mushrooms and its products. In addition, many people prefer plant-based products who will not readily adopt functional mushroom products. Also, some people are allergic to mushrooms, which would restrict the consumption of functional mushroom products. Along with that, there are many manufacturers who are using different alternatives of functional mushrooms in the manufacturing of their products.
By application, the functional mushroom market is divided into Food and Beverage; Pharmaceutical, nutraceutical & dietary supplements; and Personal Care & Cosmetics. The pharmaceutical, nutraceutical & dietary supplements segment procured the maximum share in the functional mushroom market in 2020. Since functional mushrooms contain various chemical elements with potential nutritional and therapeutic value, they are highly used in various medicinal products. In China, Japan, North America, and other parts of the world, mushroom fruiting bodies have become popular as nutritional supplements.
Product Type Outlook
Based on product type, the functional mushroom market is segmented into Cordyceps, Reishi, Lion’s Mane and others. The reishi mushroom segment acquired the highest share in the functional mushroom market in 2020, and is estimated to maintain its dominance over the forecast period. The growing trend of developing natural drugs in order to protect and cure people with numerous immunological diseases has gained a momentum in the last few years. In addition, reishi mushroom is one of the most popular mushroom used in the making of various dietary supplements.
Distribution Channel Outlook
Based on distribution channel, the functional mushroom market is fragmented into supermarket/hypermarket, specialty stores, online stores, and convenience stores. Specialty stores segment dominated the functional mushroom market in 2020 and is estimated to continue this trend during the forecast period. Specialty stores are among the top places to be consider for growing the penetration of functional mushrooms among consumers. Any type of goods can be found in these specialist shops. As a result, specialised retailers are expected to have a significant impact on the functional mushroom industry.
|Market size value in 2020||USD 7.9 Billion|
|Market size forecast in 2027||USD 13.6 Billion|
|Historical Period||2017 to 2019|
|Forecast Period||2021 to 2027|
|Revenue Growth Rate||CAGR of 8.7% from 2021 to 2027|
|Number of Pages||201|
|Number of Tables||368|
|Report coverage||Market Trends, Revenue Estimation and Forecast, Segmentation Analysis, Regional and Country Breakdown, Competitive Landscape, Companies Strategic Developments, Company Profiling|
|Segments covered||Application, Product Type, Distribution Channel, Region|
|Country scope||US, Canada, Mexico, Germany, UK, France, Russia, Spain, Italy, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Brazil, Argentina, UAE, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Nigeria|
Region-wise, the functional mushroom market is analyzed across North America, Europe, Asia Pacific and LAMEA. Asia Pacific emerged as the leading region in the functional mushroom market in 2020 with the highest market share. It is owing to the high popularity of functional mushroom and significant consumption of functional mushroom products across various nations of the region. China is also the world's leading producer and user of functional mushroom products.
Free Valuable Insights: Global Functional Mushroom Market size to reach USD 13.6 Billion by 2027
The market research report covers the analysis of key stake holders of the market. Key companies profiled in the report include Hokkaido Reishi Co. Ltd., Real Mushrooms, Pan's Mushroom Jerky, Om Mushroom Superfood, Four Sigmatic, Banken Champignons B.V., South Mill Mushrooms Sales, Inc. (The Mushroom Company), and Half Hill Farm, Inc.
Recent Strategies Deployed in Functional Mushroom Market
- Dec-2021: Four Sigmatic introduced the latest product line of coffee creamers, which include the market's highest dosage (500mg) of functional mushrooms. This line is developed to offer the brand's unique mushroom heritage and support its mission of bringing healthy and accessible products to coffee routines across the world.
- Dec-2021: South Mill Champs expanded its geographical footprint by opening its seventh US distribution center in Sacramento, California. This Sacramento Distribution Center is built with a cheese-stuffing line, which would enable the company to fulfill the high demand for its Stuffed Baby Bella Caps sold within its Champs Mushrooms brand.
- Oct-2021: Four Sigmatic released Immune Support Ground Coffee and Perform Ground Coffee. This latest product includes mushrooms for functional benefits. Along with that, this coffee is made for high performers who are seeking energy and productivity.
- Jul-2021: South Mill Champs came into a partnership with Loveday Mushroom Farms. Under this partnership, Loveday Mushroom Farms joined South Mill Champs's North American family of mushroom producers. This partnership aimed to enhance the production ability of the companies along with supporting their future planned compost and mushroom expansion plans.
- Jan-2021: South Mill Champs took over The Mushroom Company, one of North America's largest mushroom processors. This acquisition aimed to expand capacity and abilities at the Cambridge facility, in line with its growing North American operations.
- Nov-2020: South Mill Champs expanded its geographical footprint by purchasing a new distribution center in Lakeland, Florida. This expansion aimed to support the company's mission to fulfill the growing demand from its customers in this key market.
- Jul-2020: Four Sigmatic unveiled a line of shots with functional mushrooms and adaptogens. This portfolio provides wellness products that are manufactured with fruit juice and vitamins. In addition, this line would also feature three ‘high impact’ shots that are claimed to have benefits in the areas of beauty, health, and productivity.
- May-2020: Four Sigmatic launched a gut-friendly coffee, which is a combination of functional mushrooms, probiotics, and prebiotics. This Mushroom Ground Coffee with Probiotics helps in boosting the immune and digestive systems with functional mushrooms to reduce the potential negative impacts of drinking normal coffee on human health.
- Sep-2019: Om Organic Mushroom Nutrition unveiled new mushroom superfood functional drinks sticks and mushroom superfood daily boost capsules. These products would provide an on-the-go boost of mushroom superfoods plus functional components to offer efficient nutrition and complement key wellness states.
- Feb-2019: South Mill Champs released a new mushroom-based snack called Shroom Snacks. This launch aimed to offer a delicious, better-for-you snack utilizing mushrooms, grown and hand-picked on South Mill farms, along with introducing four product lines blended with 14 flavors.
- Jul-2018: Four Sigmatic expanded its beauty category with the launch of the latest Golden and Chai Latte products that offer beauty benefits. By using the extraordinary benefits of mushroom superfoods, the company would provide amazing beauty benefits and offer a way for people to literally eat their way to glowing skin.
Scope of the Study
Market Segments Covered in the Report:
- Pharmaceutical, nutraceutical & dietary supplements
- Food & Beverage and
- Personal Care & Cosmetics
By Product Type
- Lion’s Mane and
By Distribution Channel
- Specialty Stores
- Supermarkets & Hypermarkets
- Online Distribution Channel and
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of LAMEA
Key Market Players
List of Companies Profiled in the Report:
- Hokkaido Reishi Co. Ltd.
- Real Mushrooms
- Pan's Mushroom Jerky
- Om Mushroom Superfood
- Four Sigmatic
- Banken Champignons B.V.
- South Mill Mushrooms Sales, Inc. (The Mushroom Company)
- Half Hill Farm, Inc.
Unique Offerings from KBV Research
- Exhaustive coverage
- The highest number of market tables and figures
- Subscription-based model available
- Guaranteed best price
- Assured post sales research support with 10% customization free
What would be the size of the functional mushroom market by 2027?
The functional mushroom market size is projected to reach USD 13.6 billion by 2027.
What are the key driving factors and challenges in the functional mushroom market?
Rising prevalence of cardiovascular and chronic diseases are driving the market in coming years, however, availability of numerous alternatives and lack of skilled workforce limited the growth of the market.
Who are the leading players in the functional mushroom market?
Hokkaido Reishi Co. Ltd., Real Mushrooms, Pan's Mushroom Jerky, Om Mushroom Superfood, Four Sigmatic, Banken Champignons B.V., South Mill Mushrooms Sales, Inc. (The Mushroom Company), and Half Hill Farm, Inc.
What has been the impact of COVID-19 on the global functional mushroom market?
Due to the growing awareness among people regarding the importance of maintaining a good health and better immune system along with the increasing adoption of nutraceuticals and dietary supplements would positively impact the demand for functional mushroom in the recovery phase of the pandemic.
Which region dominated the functional mushroom market in 2020?
The Asia Pacific market dominated the Global Functional Mushroom Market by Region 2020, and would continue to be a dominant market till 2027; thereby, achieving a market value of $5,026.1 million by 2027.