Global Food Additives Market Size, Share & Industry Trends Analysis Report By Source (Natural and Synthetic), By Product, By Application, By Regional Outlook and Forecast, 2021 - 2027
Special Offering: Industry Insights | Market Trends | Highest number of Tables | 24/7 Analyst Support
Get in-depth analysis of the COVID-19 impact on the Food Additives Market
Market Report Description
The Global Food Additives Market size is expected to reach $135.2 billion by 2027, rising at a market growth of 5.2% CAGR during the forecast period.
Food additives are compounds that are added to foods to enhance texture, color, taste, or chemical preservatives, as well as the appearance and operation of processors. These food additives are frequently used in small amounts to improve the visual appearance, flavor, texture, and storage aspects of foods. In addition, food additives provide a number of benefits, including reducing food spoiling during storage, transportation, distribution, or processing. As food additives, around 3,000 distinct chemicals are used. Preservatives, antioxidants, flavor enhancers, colorants, and sweeteners are among the many food additives used in the production or preservation of a wide range of foods, functional drinks, packaged foods, bread items, dairy products, meat, and seafood.
Enzymes, acidulants, emulsifiers, shelf-life stabilizers, and fat alternatives are in great demand in the global food additives industry, in addition to the list of food additives stated above. Due to common requirements from the food business, end consumers, and authorities around the world, food additives are in massive demand. Moreover, food additives are used to improve the sweetness, enhance or add color, and prevent food spoilage in a variety of applications like bakery and confectionery, dairy and frozen desserts, drinks, meat and poultry products, and other items such as sauces, soups, and baby food.
The extensive usage of additives in the food and beverage industry for various functions such as preservatives, flavor enhancers, emulsifiers, sweeteners, colorants, and other functions would help the industry to grow more. Additionally, the increased desire for convenience and packaged foods, which contain more additives has been witnessed among consumers in recent years. Furthermore, one of the key trends of the market is the rapid advancement of technology in the industry in response to customer demand for healthy and organic food options. Companies in the food additives industry, for example, are focusing on employing micro-encapsulation technology for color distribution and final product composition.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
The food additives market was impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic, from raw material procurement to end-product production. The producers had difficulties because of workforce scarcity, and import and export restrictions halted manufacturing. In addition, food and beverage products containing food additives such as sweeteners and food flavors like bakery products, confectionery, dairy products, and soft drinks, have been held back as stores re-allocated stock priority toward staples and vital supplies owing to the outbreak. This was primarily due to government-issued mass lockdown orders by various countries to prevent the pandemic from spreading within their borders.
Market driving Factors:
Growing demand for ready-to-eat & processed foods and product innovation
In recent years, there has been a rising demand for convenience and processed foods such as ready-to-eat foods, ready-to-drink drinks, snacks, frozen dinners, and others. In addition, food additives are commonly used in processed foods to maintain their freshness, safety, taste, appearance, and texture. Emulsifiers, for example, bind water and oil together in an emulsion and hence play a crucial part in many low-fat processed meals. Moreover, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has permitted chemicals with limited limitations for many processed foods due to their benefits in terms of usage. Calcium hypochlorite, saccharin, and penicillin, for example, are permitted for use in commercially processed foods. In India, the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has set a limit of 500mg/kg for MSG in canned crab flesh.
The high popularity of Organic food among consumers
The demand for organically sourced food additives would be boosted by rising health concerns around the world, as well as increased awareness about the related benefits of organic food items. Moreover, the adoption rate of natural food additives like organic preservatives and flavoring agents, stevia-based sweeteners, natural colorants, stevia-based sweeteners, rosemary extract, and others is predicted to increase in the upcoming years. Before making a purchasing decision, health-conscious shoppers like to review the ingredient list on any food product label. Food additives manufacturers have recognized this customer sentiment and are attempting to create container designs that are more enticing to health-conscious consumers.
Marketing Restraining Factor:
Strict Governments Regulations
One of the significant obstacles to market growth is the rising stringent regulation of food additives by several government bodies. In addition, such regulations often delay the approval process and subject the market players to go through a lengthy and complex procedure. Due to this, many manufacturers fail to expand their production capabilities, hence losing the opportunity to increase the revenue share. Regulatory agencies like the European Food Safety Authority, the Food and Drug Administration, and the European Union Law on the Safety of Food Additives, on the other hand, can act as a deterrent to the worldwide market for food additives.
Based on Source, the market is segmented into Natural and Synthetic. In 2020, the Natural segment held the maximum revenue share of the Food Additives Market. In comparison to their chemical equivalents, naturally-based additives are safer for human consumption. Chemically produced flavoring chemicals, sweeteners, and emulsifiers are known to cause health problems like allergies and cancer. Due to increased customer demand, market participants have been focusing on expanding their portfolio of plant-based ingredients. ADM's new cutting-edge plant-based innovation center, located in ADM's Biopolis research cluster in Singapore, started operating in April 2021. This was done to expand ADM's plant-based product offering, which includes proteins and tastes. Moreover, Modern Plant-Based Foods Inc. and Real Vision Foods, LLC, a natural food producer, joined in August 2021 to provide plant-based bars and meals for high-performance cognitive athletes. As a result, the natural source segment is likely to develop in response to the rising demand for natural additives from food and beverage producers.
Based on Product, the market is segmented into Sweeteners, Flavors & Enhancers, Emulsifiers & Shelf-life Stabilizers, Enzymes, Fat Replacers, Prebiotics & Probiotics, Dietary Fibers, and Others. The Flavors & Enhancers segment acquired a significant revenue share of the Food Additives Market in 2020. It is critical to the consumption and acceptance of quality in everyday life. The growth of the segment would further be driven as more enzymes are used to extract flavor components from natural resources to fulfil product demand. Flavors and enhancers make food and beverages taste better. Food and beverage makers have been working on lowering the amount of salt and sugar in their goods, which has increased demand for flavor enhancers, which may heighten flavor without utilizing salt or sugar. Bitterness suppressors are used to balancing the flavour of foods and beverages, resulting in a smoother mouthfeel and the elimination of unpleasant aftertastes.
Based on Application, the market is segmented into Bakery & confectionery, Beverages, Convenience Foods, Dairy & Frozen Desserts, Spices, Condiments, Sauces & Dressings, and Others. In 2020, the Bakery & confectionery segment obtained the biggest revenue share of the Food Additives Market. To enhance the quality of bakery and confectionery items, a variety of additives are utilized, including enzymes, sweeteners, emulsifiers, and dietary fibers. DuPont's Nutrition & Biosciences division (formerly known as International Flavors & Fragrances Inc.) introduced the DuPont POWERBake 6000 and 7000 enzymes for bakery products including white bread and buns in February 2020. Moreover, POWERBake, POWERSoft Cake, POWERFlex, and POWERFresh enzymes, such as lipase and xylanase, are utilized to lengthen dough stability, strengthen dough, and provide tolerance and robustness to flour quality.
|Market size value in 2020||USD 97.5 Billion|
|Market size forecast in 2027||USD 135.2 Billion|
|Historical Period||2017 to 2019|
|Forecast Period||2021 to 2027|
|Revenue Growth Rate||CAGR of 5.2% from 2021 to 2027|
|Number of Pages||271|
|Number of Tables||424|
|Report coverage||Market Trends, Revenue Estimation and Forecast, Segmentation Analysis, Regional and Country Breakdown, Competitive Landscape, Companies Strategic Developments, Company Profiling|
|Segments covered||Source, Product, Application, Region|
|Country scope||US, Canada, Mexico, Germany, UK, France, Russia, Spain, Italy, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Brazil, Argentina, UAE, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Nigeria|
Based on Regions, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Latin America, Middle East & Africa. In 2020, the APAC emerged as the leading region in the overall Food Additives Market. This is due to the presence of a wide consumer base and end-use industries. According to a poll published in the Journal of Ethnic Foods, three among four adult Chinese respondents had fast food in July 2021. In addition, the expansion of the food and beverage business in densely populated nations like China, India, and Indonesia is expected to boost demand in the Asia Pacific.
Free Valuable Insights: Global Food Additives Market size to reach USD 135.2 Billion by 2027
KBV Cardinal Matrix - Food Additives Market Competition Analysis
The major strategies followed by the market participants are Acquisitions. Based on the Analysis presented in the Cardinal matrix; BASF SE is the major forerunner in the Food Additives Market. Companies such as Novozymes A/S, Archer Daniels Midland Company, Ingredion, Incorporated are some of the key innovators in Food Additives Market.
The market research report covers the analysis of key stake holders of the market. Key companies profiled in the report include BASF SE, Kerry Group PLC, Novozymes A/S, Archer Daniels Midland Company, International Flavors & Fragrances, Inc., Ingredion, Incorporated, Tate & Lyle PLC, Ajinomoto Co. Inc., Chr. Hansen holding A/S, and Cargill Corporation.
Recent Strategies Deployed in Food Additives Market
» Partnerships, Collaborations and Agreements:
- Oct-2021: BASF extended its partnership with Cargill, a privately held American global food corporation. Following the partnership, the two companies would create, market, and sell customer-centric enzyme products and solutions. Moreover, the single objective of the companies is to bring farmers to feed innovations that decrease nutrient waste, enhance feed efficiency, and encourage animal growth and wellbeing.
- May-2021: Cargill formed a partnership with Caldic, a company that offers inspiring solutions in life sciences and specialty chemicals. Following the partnership, the combination of Cargill's superior product offerings and Caldic's agility, local presence, and value-add solutions model would provide higher value to the swiss customers.
- Apr-2021: Novozymesn signed an agreement to extend its partnership with Univar Solutions, a global chemical and ingredient distributor. Following the agreement, Univar Solutions would distribute enzymes for the dairy and protein ingredients segments in Brazil and the protein ingredients and brewing segments in Colombia, Peru, Ecuador, and Bolivia.
- Jan-2021: Tate & Lyle extended its partnership with Codexis, a protein engineering company that develops enzymes for pharmaceutical, food, and medical applications. Under this partnership, the two companies aimed to expand the production of DOLCIA PRIMA Allulose and TASTEVA M Stevia Sweetener, the two of Tate & Lyle’s newest sweeteners.
- Sep-2020: BASF Human Nutrition entered into a distribution agreement with Azelis, a leading global innovation service provider in the specialty chemicals and food ingredients industry. Following the agreement, Azelis would become the distributor for health and colorant ingredients of BASF in Greece.
» Acquisitions and Mergers:
- Nov-2021: ADM took over Deerland Probiotics & Enzymes, a leader in probiotic, prebiotic, and enzyme technology. This acquisition would enhance the ADM’s innovation position in dietary supplements and functional foods, and better serve customers around the world.
- Apr-2021: Ingredion Incorporated took over KaTech, a privately-held company headquartered in Lübeck, Germany, which offers advanced texture and stabilization solutions to the food and beverage industry. This acquisition would help the company to improve its ability to create tailored, complete food solutions harnessing Ingredion’s expanded ingredient offerings. Moreover, the acquisition would also expand the geographic reach of its Food Systems growth platform supporting the positions in the US and Asia.
- Jul-2020: Ingredion Incorporated took over PureCircle Limited, the world’s leading producer and innovator of plant-based stevia sweeteners and flavors for the food and beverage industry. Following the acquisition, the two companies would build on combined strengths and PureCircle would be able to harness Ingredion’s global go-to-market network and its formulation expertise and broad product offerings which are expected to boost the growth synergies and substantial savings to both companies.
- Jul-2020: Chr. Hansen Holding A/S acquired UAS Laboratories, a private biotechnology company headquartered in Wausau, Wisconsin, USA. Following the acquisition, the two companies aimed to build upon the combined expertise of the two companies. Moreover, this acquisition would help Hansen Holding A/S to expand its probiotic portfolio from strain to solution, gain access to new customer groups and enter into new indication areas while remaining committed to science and R&D.
» Product Launches and Product Expansions:
- Jan-2021: Tate & Lyle launched new REZISTA MAX thickening starches and BRIOGEL gelling starches. Through this launch, the company expanded its range of tapioca-based starches. The new products would assist food makers to provide better products due to their enhanced process tolerance, fluidity, mouthfeel, and texture.
- Nov-2020: Ingredion Incorporated introduced NOVATION 9460 organic instant functional native starch, an organic instant functional native starch across Europe. This new product would allow food makers to capitalize on the promising organic food and beverage market, with a customer-centric ingredient.
- Apr-2020: Ingredion EMEA rolled out ERYSTA Erythritol, its first polyol sweetener. In a variety of uses, the sweetener allows producers to decrease or substitute sugar to meet nutrition-related claims such as "no added sugar" or "calorie-reduced."
- Mar-2020: Novozymes rolled out Saphera Fiber, a new lactase enzyme. Through this launch, the company aimed to enhance the content of fibers while simultaneously decreasing sugar in fermented and non-fermented dairy items.
- Mar-2020: Ingredion Incorporated introduced EVANESSETM CB6194 clean label emulsifier, a new clean label ingredient for the U.S. and Canada. In both high and low-fat formulations, the emulsifier provides mouthfeel and texture equivalent to standard emulsifiers, has good heat and freeze/thaw stability, is easier to disperse and emulsify, and has good shelf-life stability in a variety of applications.
- Feb-2020: Tate & Lyle rolled out CLARIA EVERLAST, the recent addition to its range of CLARIA Clean Label Starches. CLARIA EVERLAST is a revolutionary clean label starch that provides outstanding shelf stability and aids in the preservation of food quality, even under extreme storage conditions.
» Geographical Expansions:
- Nov-2021: ADM expanded its geographical reach by opening its new animal nutrition laboratory situated in Rolle, Switzerland, at the heart of the Swiss Food & Nutrition Valley. This new facility would support the development of science-based feed additives to fulfill customer requirements for pet food, aquaculture and livestock species around the world.
Scope of the Study
Market Segments Covered in the Report:
- Flavors & Enhancers
- Emulsifiers & Shelf-life Stabilizers
- Fat Replacers
- Prebiotics & Probiotics
- Dietary Fibers
- Bakery & confectionery
- Convenience Foods
- Dairy & Frozen Desserts
- Spices, Condiments, Sauces & Dressings
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of LAMEA
Key Market Players
List of Companies Profiled in the Report:
- BASF SE
- Kerry Group PLC
- Novozymes A/S
- Archer Daniels Midland Company
- International Flavors & Fragrances, Inc.
- Ingredion, Incorporated
- Tate & Lyle PLC
- Ajinomoto Co. Inc.
- Chr. Hansen holding A/S
- Cargill Corporation
Unique Offerings from KBV Research
- Exhaustive coverage
- The highest number of market tables and figures
- Subscription-based model available
- Guaranteed best price
- Assured post sales research support with 10% customization free
How valuable will the food additives market be in the future?
The food additives market size is projected to reach USD 135.2 billion by 2027.
What are the key driving factors and challenges in the food additives market?
Growing demand for ready-to-eat & processed foods and product innovation are on the rise are driving the market in coming years, however, strict Governments regulations limited the growth of the market.
Who are the leading players in the food additives market?
BASF SE, Kerry Group PLC, Novozymes A/S, Archer Daniels Midland Company, International Flavors & Fragrances, Inc., Ingredion, Incorporated, Tate & Lyle PLC, Ajinomoto Co. Inc., Chr. Hansen holding A/S, and Cargill Corporation.
At what CAGR is the food additives market estimate to grow in the forecast period?
The expected CAGR of the food additives market is 5.2% from 2021 to 2027.
Which segment shows a high revenue share of the food additives market in 2020?
The Sweeteners segment acquired maximum revenue share in the Global Food Additives Market by Product 2020, and would continue to be a dominant market till 2027.
Which region dominated the food additives market in 2020?
The Asia Pacific market dominated the Global Food Additives Market by Region 2020, and would continue to be a dominant market till 2027.