Global Dental Laboratories Market By Product (Oral care, Implants, Restorative, Orthodontic, and Endodontic), By Equipment Type (Systems & Parts, Laboratory Machines, Dental Radiology Equipment, Dental Lasers, Hygiene Maintenance Devices and Others), By Regional Outlook, COVID-19 Impact Analysis Report and Forecast, 2021 - 2027
Special Offering: Industry Insights | Market Trends | Highest number of Tables | 24/7 Analyst Support
Get in-depth analysis of the COVID-19 impact on the Dental Laboratories Market
Market Report Description
The Global Dental Laboratories Market size is expected to reach $51.4 billion by 2027, rising at a market growth of 10.4% CAGR during the forecast period. Dental laboratories produce or customize the type of products that help in the provision of oral health care by an authorized dentist. These products involve bridges, dentures, crowns & other dental products. While manufacturing these products, the dental lab physicians follow the instructions given by an authorized dentist. The type of products manufactured is therapeutic devices (like orthodontic devices) and prosthetic devices (like denture teeth and implants).
The FDA controls and manages these products as medical devices thus, they are subject to FDA's quality system (QS) requirements and good manufacturing practice (GMP). But, in several cases, these products are exempted from the manufacturer registration policy. Commonly, refurbishments manufacturing involves dental implants, bridges, dentures, and crowns. Among these, dental implants are comparatively the latest dental technologies introduced in the field of dentistry.
The rising number of an aging population and surging demand for cosmetic dental procedures are some of the factors that are expected to upsurge the growth of the dental laboratories market. As stated by World Bank, there is an increase in the number of aging population from 8. 4% to 9.3% in the past few years. This is attributed to boost the growth of the market in the upcoming years.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
The dental laboratories market was negatively impacted by the COVID-19, as patient volumes, and dental spending were decreased. Due to the pandemic, several nations closed their dental practices except for emergency visits. The decline in cash flow in dental clinics accompanied by reduced demand for dental prosthetics impacted the capital equipment and materials markets. In general, the effects of the pandemic on the dental laboratories market are anticipated to differ by market segment.
In addition, the COVID-19 pandemic has reduced the number of visits to the hospital and clinics for a dental health checkup, leading to a reducing the demand for dental laboratories. A significant downfall was observed in the revenue or net sales. However, this is anticipated to be a temporary downfall, and the market is estimated to resume growth in the upcoming years.
Market Growth Factors:
Growing awareness among patients
Various governments have taken different initiatives to make people aware of oral healthcare, which has resulted in faster recovery from dental problems. The governments have also presented reimbursement schemes for dental treatment, which has emerged as a primary factor driving the growth of the dental laboratories market. In addition, the growing number of technological advancements in dental implants and their solutions utilized for restorative dentistry has also driven the growth of the dental laboratories market.
Enhancements in technology used for dental purposes
There is an upsurge witnessed in the demand for restorative and cosmetic dentistry due to improvements in technology and materials, which has resulted in the huge demand for dental laboratory technicians. In addition, technicians have become independent due to advancements in technology as there is no need to work with close supervision. Technicians also often feel satisfied with the results of taking an entire project from start to finish.
Market Restraining Factor:
Require huge investment
The adoption of the latest technologies like computer-based design (CAD) and computer-based manufacturing (CAM) requires high capital investments. Also, the equipment and latest devices used while performing treatment are expensive. Thus, for the setup of a new dental laboratory, there is a need of spending a huge amount on purchasing materials, equipment, devices, and the latest technologies. In addition, the lack of proper reimbursement, intense competition in the market, stringent regulations for patient safety, and limited geographical reach are the major factors that may hinder the growth of the dental laboratories market.
Based on Product, the market is segmented into Oral care, Implants, Restorative, Orthodontic, and Endodontic. Oral care acquired the maximum revenue share in 2020. The factors such as the rising deployment rate of dentures and growing awareness related to oral hygiene are expected to offer lucrative growth opportunities to the dental laboratories market during the forecasting period.
Equipment Type Outlook
Based on Equipment Type, the market is segmented into Systems & Parts, Laboratory Machines, Dental Radiology Equipment, Dental Lasers, Hygiene Maintenance Devices and Others. The dental lasers segment is anticipated to register the fastest growth rate during the forecasting period. The growth of this segment would witness a significant surge due to the rising deployment of computer-aided design, laser sintering, laser welding, and computer-aided manufacturing. In diagnostic and surgical procedures, dental lasers find their huge application.
|Market size value in 2020||USD 24.7 Billion|
|Market size forecast in 2027||USD 51.4 Billion|
|Historical Period||2017 to 2019|
|Forecast Period||2021 to 2027|
|Revenue Growth Rate||CAGR of 10.4% from 2021 to 2027|
|Number of Pages||205|
|Number of Tables||313|
|Report coverage||Market Trends, Revenue Estimation and Forecast, Segmentation Analysis, Regional and Country Breakdown, Competitive Landscape, Companies Strategic Developments, Company Profiling|
|Segments covered||Product, Equipment Type, Region|
|Country scope||US, Canada, Mexico, Germany, UK, France, Russia, Spain, Italy, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Brazil, Argentina, UAE, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Nigeria|
Based on Regions, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Latin America, Middle East & Africa. North America emerged as the leading region in the dental laboratories market by obtaining the largest market share in 2020. This is attributed to factors such as rising awareness related to oral health, well-established healthcare infrastructure, and high healthcare expenditure.
KBV Cardinal Matrix - Dental Laboratories Market Competition Analysis
Free Valuable Insights: Global Dental Laboratories Market size to reach USD 51.4 Billion by 2027
The major strategies followed by the market participants are Partnerships. Based on the Analysis presented in the Cardinal matrix; 3M Company is the major forerunners in the Dental Laboratories Market. Companies such as Dentsply Sirona, Inc., Henry Schein, Inc., Shofu Dental GmbH are some of the key innovators in the market.
The market research report covers the analysis of key stake holders of the market. Key companies profiled in the report include Modern Dental Group Limited, Dentsply Sirona, Inc., Envista Holdings Corporation, Institut Straumann AG, Henry Schein, Inc., 3M Company, DentCare Dental Lab Pvt. Ltd., Shofu Dental GmbH, GC Corporation and A-dec, Inc.
Recent Strategies Deployed in Dental Laboratories Market
» Partnerships, Collaborations, and Agreements:
- Jun-2021: Dentsply Sirona came into a partnership with 3Shape, a developer and manufacturer of 3D scanners and CAD/CAM software solutions based in Copenhagen, Denmark. This partnership aimed to get better access of TRIOS customers to SureSmile Clear Aligners. Using the platforms to the 3Shape system enables dental professionals to get the advantages from more options, more flexibility, and streamlined workflows in the future.
- May-2021: A-dec formed a partnership with KaVo, a dental products manufacturer with a comprehensive array of dental products. This partnership aimed to provide dental products & services to dental professionals across the world.
- Dec-2020: The Straumann Group came into a distribution partnership with Medit, a global provider of 3D dental scanners and solutions. In this partnership, Straumann got the global distribution rights for Medit’s intraoral scanners for dental practices, supporting the company's prevailing portfolio and strengthening its position as a global partner of choice for combined intraoral scanning solutions.
- Oct-2020: Henry Schein signed an exclusive distribution agreement with Carrizo Dental, a leading Córdoba-based distributor of dental supplies and equipment. This agreement aimed to distribute the Henry Schein-brand product portfolio to dental professionals across Argentina. In addition, this agreement would also improve local support to Argentina-based oral health professionals and assist in ensuring quality products are efficiently delivered.
» Product Launches and Product Expansions:
- Jul-2020: 3M Oral Care launched Clarity Aligners Flex + Force, a new aligner system. This system empowers orthodontists to opt from two distinct aligner materials in a single treatment design and provides patients a personalized treatment experience.
- Jan-2020: Dentsply Sirona introduced the CEREC Primemill, the company’s new grinding and milling machine. This machine would ensure impressive restorations with accurate margins and a smooth surface owing to the high-speed surrounding with two spindles and four motors. In addition, this new design would provide substantially smoother operation.
» Acquisitions and Mergers:
- Jun-2021: Dentsply Sirona took over all of the assets of Propel Orthodontics that includes the VPro device and the Fastrack Mobile App. Through this acquisition, Dentsply Sirona would further strengthen its position in the ever-growing clear aligner market.
- Jun-2021: Henry Schein took over a 70% ownership position in eAssist Dental Solutions (eAssist), the developer of a leading and fast-growing virtual dental billing outsourcing service. This acquisition aimed to support Henry Schein's mission to provide best-of-breed solutions to assist dental practices in work more efficiently and profitably, releasing practice resources to focus on patient care.
- May-2021: Henry Schein One, a subsidiary of Henry Schein acquired an 80% ownership position in Jarvis Analytics, a software company. This acquisition aimed to strengthen the company's objective to be the leading provider of dental analytics solutions & services to the dental market.
- Jan-2021: Dentsply Sirona completed the acquisition of Byte, a rapidly growing clear aligner company. This acquisition aimed to expand the market for orthodontic care by linking additional patients with dental professionals and also enable them to access quality oral healthcare.
- Jan-2021: Dentsply Sirona acquired Datum Dental, provider of innovative regenerative solutions. Following this acquisition, Datum Dental would get significant opportunities for Dentsply Sirona in its Implants segment. In addition, the OSSIX portfolio with a record of streamlining and developing innovations for regenerative procedures would support the company's vision to be the leader in the dental regeneration industry.
Scope of the Study
Market Segments Covered in the Report:
- Oral care
By Equipment Type
- Systems & Parts
- Laboratory Machines
- Dental Radiology Equipment
- Dental Lasers
- Hygiene Maintenance Devices
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of LAMEA
Key Market Players
List of Companies Profiled in the Report:
- Modern Dental Group Limited
- Dentsply Sirona, Inc.
- Envista Holdings Corporation
- Institut Straumann AG
- Henry Schein, Inc.
- 3M Company
- DentCare Dental Lab Pvt. Ltd.
- Shofu Dental GmbH
- GC Corporation
- A-dec, Inc.
Unique Offerings from KBV Research
- Exhaustive coverage
- The highest number of market tables and figures
- Subscription-based model available
- Guaranteed best price
- Assured post sales research support with 10% customization free
What would be the value of the global dental laboratories market by 2027?
The dental laboratories market size is projected to reach USD 51.4 billion by 2027.
What are the key driving factors and challenges in the dental laboratories market?
Growing awareness among patients are driving the market in coming years, however, require huge investment limited the growth of the market.
Who are the leading players in the dental laboratories market?
Modern Dental Group Limited, Dentsply Sirona, Inc., Envista Holdings Corporation, Institut Straumann AG, Henry Schein, Inc., 3M Company, DentCare Dental Lab Pvt. Ltd., Shofu Dental GmbH, GC Corporation and A-dec, Inc.
What has been the impact of COVID-19 on the global dental laboratories market?
The COVID-19 pandemic has reduced the number of visits to the hospital and clinics for a dental health checkup, leading to a reducing the demand for dental laboratories. However, this is anticipated to be a temporary downfall, and the market is estimated to resume growth in the upcoming years.
Which region shows the faster growth rate of the dental laboratories market over the forecast period?
Asia-Pacific is anticipated to register the maximum growth rate during the forecasting period, owing to the increasing dental tourism, growing awareness related to oral health, and reduced cost of dental laboratory work.