Global Decentralized Identity Market Size, Share & Industry Trends Analysis Report By Identity Type (Non- biometrics and Biometrics), By Vertical, By Organization size, By End user (Enterprises and Individual), By Regional Outlook and Forecast, 2022 - 2028
Special Offering: Industry Insights | Market Trends | Highest number of Tables | 24/7 Analyst Support
Get in-depth analysis of the COVID-19 impact on the Decentralized Identity Market
Market Report Description
The Global Decentralized Identity Market size is expected to reach $8.9 billion by 2028, rising at a market growth of 78.5% CAGR during the forecast period.
Data breaches and the unauthorized access of personal data have destroyed trust in the absence of an identity layer. A decentralized identification method based on distributed ledger technologies (DLT) is gaining traction, backed by businesses like IBM and Microsoft and standardized by W3C and the Decentralized Identity Foundation (DIF). The distributed ledger system that underpins it might be utilized to allow asset exchanges.
Numerous experts believe that password-based logins are insecure, and that multi-factor solutions add friction to online interactions, reducing user uptake and productivity. Providing reliable identification of a person's identity whereas complying to new data privacy rules and regulations is a costly and ineffective maze of security and customer experience challenges. Several businesses have discovered that two-factor authentication is a band-aid solution.
Passwords have long been regarded as insufficient by security experts, but blockchain technology is finally providing some feasible alternative authentication techniques that businesses may explore to keep their data safe. Using identification instruments to interact with the world is a part of daily existence, yet today's digital representations of identities are far from safe. But, the realm of self-sovereign identification today allows people to live a digital existence that is safer, simpler, and more intuitive.
Companies are working on decentralized identities that will comply with "know your customer" and anti-money laundering requirements in general. Decentralized identifiers are, in that sense, the correct solution at the right time. Businesses address fundamental issues that the tech press has been covering for years. Decentralized finance assets and cryptocurrencies, for example, are frequently referred to as servicing the unbanked or underbanked, or persons who have struggled with existing centralized banking systems and the upkeep of conventional check and savings accounts.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
The digital ecosystem has become increasingly important around the world. COVID-19 has resulted in significant advancements in decentralised identity technologies. Many firms have started offering online services since the onset of COVID-19. As a result, online consumers' fears about their identity security have grown, which has created demand for various digital security of data as well as people in the market. Decentralized identity is important for confirming user identities and securely storing them. Furthermore, enterprises all around the world have increased their efforts to implement decentralised identification systems. This is expected to increase overall demand for decentralised identity technology.
Market Growth Factors
Increasing cases of security breaches and frauds
As the globe continues its digitization journey, data being posted to the web is becoming increasingly vulnerable to dangers. Personal information about each customer is stored on hundreds of servers around the world, increasing the risk of identity theft. According to the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), identity fraud incidents worldwide increased by around 45 percent in 2020, resulting in massive financial losses. The rise in cyberattacks is credited to technologies like machine learning (ML), which allows attackers to create several various variants of malicious code each day.
Rise in applications of blockchain identity solutions in banks
Blockchain identity management technology offers a lot of potential in sectors like banking, cybersecurity, and the Internet of Things. This technology has the potential to change the world by overcoming the myriad issues in traditional banking operations and ensuring that banking services are available at all times. Low transaction fees and a shorter transaction time would enhance the effectiveness and security of commercial transactions. The data is less likely to be hacked or changed without consent because blockchain technology is built on distributed ledger technology and the blocks are encrypted utilizing powerful encryption.
Market Restraining Factors
Changing regulatory status and an absence of a unified set of guidelines
Regulatory agencies have a difficult time keeping up with technological advancements. Regulatory agencies must assess what gaps exist in current legislation and how they may affect overall technological applications as technology advances. Within that decentralized identity market, regulatory uncertainty continues to be a source of concern. The lack of rules and the related uncertainty are now one of the most serious obstacles to the widespread implementation of blockchain technology across industries. Financial companies from all across the world are collaborating to establish a number of standards for blockchain technology.
Identity Type Outlook
Based on Identity Type, the market is segmented into Non- biometrics and Biometrics. Biometrics segment garnered a significant revenue share in the decentralized identity market in 2021. Biometric identification is primarily combining with other kinds of data, data systems and communication technologies like metadata, smartphones and social media and since the main security features on smartphones and by expansion, social media accounts, online identity and profiles.
Based on Vertical, the market is segmented into BFSI, Telecom & IT, Real Estate, Retail & Ecommerce, Government & Public Sector, Healthcare & Life Sciences, Media & Entertainment, Transport & Logistics, Travel & Hospitality, and Others. Retail & E-Commerce segment recorded a substantial revenue share in the decentralized identity market in 2021. Decentralized identity offers numerous advantages separate of the greater identity autonomy it delivers to customers. In addition, decentralized identity would enable customers to engage in the same activities & transactions without really transferring data. Owing to this, the growth of the segment would witness a surge over the forecast period.
Organization size Outlook
Based on Organization size, the market is segmented into Large Enterprises and SMEs. SMEs segment procured a significant revenue share in the decentralized identity market in 2021. It is owing to the various benefits offered by decentralized identity solutions to small enterprises. Since SMEs have limited budget, they are widely adopting solutions that are low in cost and offer more benefits to secure their data. In addition, rapid pace of technological advancement would surge the growth of the segment over the forecast period.
End user Outlook
Based on End user, the market is segmented into Enterprises and Individual. Enterprises segment garnered the highest revenue share in the decentralized identity market in 2021. A decentralized identity framework helps companies the capability to maintain their own identities, without being affected by the issuer. In addition, enterprises are getting advantages of the decentralized identity in order to gather and store data in the place.
|Market size value in 2021||USD 178.8 Million|
|Market size forecast in 2028||USD 8.9 Billion|
|Historical Period||2018 to 2020|
|Forecast Period||2022 to 2028|
|Revenue Growth Rate||CAGR of 78.5% from 2022 to 2028|
|Number of Pages||284|
|Number of Tables||483|
|Report coverage||Market Trends, Revenue Estimation and Forecast, Segmentation Analysis, Regional and Country Breakdown, Competitive Landscape, Companies Strategic Developments, Company Profiling|
|Segments covered||Identity Type, Vertical, Organization size, End user, Region|
|Country scope||US, Canada, Mexico, Germany, UK, France, Russia, Spain, Italy, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Brazil, Argentina, UAE, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Nigeria|
KBV Cardinal Matrix - Decentralized Identity Market Competition Analysis
Based on Regions, the market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Latin America, Middle East & Africa. North America emerged as the leading region in the decentralized identity market with the maximum revenue share in 2021. To stay up with the subsequent rise in fraud and privacy problems, the quickly expanding digital world necessitates efforts and improvements. To keep data safe, a different streamlined method is required, one that comprehends the security concept. Increased identity theft in the government and public sector may encourage more people to use identity protection services.
Free Valuable Insights: Global Decentralized Identity Market size to reach USD 8.9 Billion by 2028
The major strategies followed by the market participants are partnerships. Based on the Analysis presented in the Cardinal matrix; Microsoft Corporation are the forerunners in the Decentralized Identity Market. Companies such as Accenture PLC, Wipro Limited, Civic Technologies, Inc. are some of the key innovators in the Market.
The market research report covers the analysis of key stake holders of the market. Key companies profiled in the report include Accenture PLC, Microsoft Corporation, Ping Identity Holding Corp. (Vista Equity Partners), Avast Software s.r.o., Wipro Limited, Persistent Systems Limited, Civic Technologies, Inc., Nuggets Ltd., R3 LLC, and Validated ID, SL.
Strategies Deployed in Decentralized Identity Market
» Partnerships, Collaborations and Agreements:
- May-2022: Nuggets came into a partnership with Collab.Land, a crypto-centered community management system. This partnership aimed to grant control and portability over their identities in web3 and metaverse through biometrics. The partnership aimed to seek to develop a decentralized, interoperable, and metaverse-ready digital ID, which would carry over identity aspects such as reputation from separate online communities in web3 and the metaverse.
- Jan-2022: Civic Technologies formed a partnership with Liquid Meta Capital Holdings, a leading decentralized finance (DeFi) infrastructure and Technology Company. This partnership aimed to bring trusted, safe permissioned identity services to DeFi and allow Liquid Meta to deliver capital liquidity to permissioned dApps.
- Sep-2021: Civic Technologies came into a partnership with Solrise Finance, a Solana-based decentralized investment platform. This partnership aimed to introduce the first on-chain decentralized exchange on Solana with enabled access based on digital identity. By expanding regulatory scrutiny, a permissioned DEX would set the stage for more checks and balances under the DeFi ecosystem.
- Apr-2021: Microsoft joined hands with Onfido, the global identity verification, and Authentication Company. Under this collaboration, Microsoft selected Onfido to allow quick and safe identity verification and onboarding for its Azure Active Directory (Azure AD) verifiable credentials. Azure AD verifiable credentials would offer an open standards approach to securely re-using verified data about a business or user to deliver quick and effortless access to the latest services.
- Apr-2021: Microsoft collaborated with Jumio, a leading provider of AI-powered end-to-end identity verification and eKYC solutions. This collaboration aimed to launch Azure Active Directory (Active AD) verifiable credentials to assist companies by offering self-service enrollment and fast onboarding of remote customers.
- Mar-2021: Civic Technologies teamed up with Solana, a project implementing a new, high-performance, permission less blockchain. This collaboration aimed to enable enhanced privacy, regulatory regulations, and ease of utilization as digital identity becomes the main component as the cornerstone of the new wave of consumer-first blockchain infrastructure.
» Product Launches and Product Expansions:
- Mar-2022: Microsoft unveiled Entra, a new product portfolio of identity and access management solutions. The portfolio consists of prevailing tools such as Azure AD alongside two new product categories; Cloud Infrastructure Entitlement Management (CIEM) and Decentralized Identity. For customers, the Entra product family is developed to safeguard access to any app or resource by allowing security teams to discover and maintain permissions in multi-cloud surroundings so they could protect digital identities from end-to-end.
- Mar-2021: Microsoft introduced the ION Decentralized Identifier (DID) network on the Bitcoin mainnet. This launched network is a layer 2 technology that is a replica of Lightning except, which utilizes Bitcoin’s blockchain to develop digital IDs for authenticating identity online.
- Jun-2020: Civic Technologies released Civic Wallet, which is available in the App Store and Google Play. This app provides a secure way to store and transact with digital identity and currency across the globe.
» Acquisitions and Mergers:
- Mar-2022: Avast acquired Canadian blockchain identity provider, SecureKey. Under this acquisition, SecureKey would complement Avast’s prior work in Identity and together enable Avast to provide the next level of innovation to establish a user-focused, global approach, which aligns user, business, and government propositions.
- Dec-2021: Avast took over Evernym, a self-sovereign identity (SSI) company. In this acquisition, Avast would add Evernym’s ground-breaking, self-sovereign identity technology to its offering, which would enable them to acknowledge this area and take a step toward the realization of a decentralized, portable model.
- Jun-2021: Ping Identity took over SecuredTouch, a leader in bot attack prevention, identity risk, and fraud intelligence. Under this acquisition, SecuredTouch would be combined within the PingOne Cloud Platform, providing enterprises access to improved signals, data, and intelligence, which would use behavioural biometrics to get an improved understanding of fraudster behaviour, with step-up authentication to stop malicious activity.
- Oct-2020: Ping Identity completed the acquisition of ShoCard, a leader in technology designed to transform how customers maintain their identity and engage with companies. The technology would enable users to gather verification of their identity and share it with companies when setting up new relationships in a privacy-first user experience.
Scope of the Study
Market Segments Covered in the Report:
By Identity Type
- Non- biometrics
- Telecom & IT
- Real Estate
- Retail & Ecommerce
- Government & Public Sector
- Healthcare & Life Sciences
- Media & Entertainment
- Transport & Logistics
- Travel & Hospitality
By Organization size
- Large Enterprises
By End user
- Rest of Europe
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of LAMEA
Key Market Players
List of Companies Profiled in the Report:
- Accenture PLC
- Microsoft Corporation
- Ping Identity Holding Corp. (Vista Equity Partners)
- Avast Software s.r.o.
- Wipro Limited
- Persistent Systems Limited
- Civic Technologies, Inc.
- Nuggets Ltd
- R3 LLC
- Validated ID, SL
Unique Offerings from KBV Research
- Exhaustive coverage
- The highest number of Market tables and figures
- Subscription-based model available
- Guaranteed best price
- Assured post sales research support with 10% customization free