Global Cancer Biomarkers Market Size, Share & Industry Trends Analysis Report By Profiling Technologies, By Application, By Type, By Cancer Type, By Regional Outlook and Forecast, 2022 - 2028
Special Offering: Industry Insights | Market Trends | Highest number of Tables | 24/7 Analyst Support
Get in-depth analysis of the COVID-19 impact on the Cancer Biomarkers Market
Market Report Description
The Global Cancer Biomarkers Market size is expected to reach $34.3 billion by 2028, rising at a Market growth of 16.8% CAGR during the forecast period.
Cancer biomarkers are chemicals or molecules that can be traced and indicate the presence of malignant cells in the body. Cancer prevention involves diagnosing and proteins evaluating multiple cancer biomarkers using various diagnostic procedures in order to obtain timely treatment outcomes. Biomarkers include peptides, proteins, antibodies, and nucleic acids, among others. The presence of these biomarkers in tissues, urine, serum, blood, and other body fluids indicates the presence of a disease or an aberrant process. Various cancer biomarkers have been investigated and are employed as diagnostic, prognostic, personalized therapy, and surrogate endpoint biomarkers. Various businesses, like healthcare and pharmaceuticals, rely on the detection of various types of biomarkers.
One of the major factors expected to boost the cancer biomarkers Market growth is research collaborations between various institutes and key industry players with the goal of developing biomarkers for disease diagnosis. For example, in May 2019, Biotech Support Group (BSG) and Leiden University Medical Center (LUMC) announced a research collaboration with the goal of developing stromal conditioning biomarkers in cancer (protein biomarkers).
The greater incidence of cancer globally, as well as the higher acceptance of cancer treatments in developing regions, the paradigm shift in healthcare from disease diagnosis to risk assessment or early diagnosis, and the increasing use of biomarkers in drug development, are all factors driving the Market growth. Cancer is the second biggest cause of mortality worldwide, as per the World Health Organization (WHO) 2018 report, with an estimated 9.6 million deaths in 2018. Cancer is responsible for around 1 in every 6 deaths worldwide. 70% of these deaths occur in low and middle income countries. Biomarkers play a critical role in risk assessment, early diagnosis, and effective treatment monitoring; therefore, the Market is likely to grow as the prevalence of many lifestyle illnesses rises.
The National Cancer Institute (NCI) invested in March 2016 to establish laboratories for biomarker and biomarker assay research for malignancies of the breast, prostate, lung, and genitourinary organs, as well as cancers with a high incidence rate. Mr. Liangren Li, an Auckland entrepreneur, and his family gave the University of Auckland a grant in April 2016 to perform cancer biomarker research. The money will be used to start the PROSPER project (Profiling of Oncology Patients in Clinical Care and Research).
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
The novel coronavirus (covid-19, sars-cov-2) was once assumed to be predominantly a respiratory disease, but as more individuals got the virus, it became obvious that it had a wide range of physiological effects. Covid-19 has an effect on the cardiovascular system and can create difficulties in the brain, kidney, and other organs in addition to the lungs. A multidisciplinary care team is frequently required for critical patients. COVID patients with comorbidities were also more likely to experience severe symptoms that necessitated hospitalization. Despite this, COVID patients with pre-existing cardiovascular problems have the highest fatality rate.
Market driving Factors:
Personalized medicine for cancer treatment
One of the primary factors expected to drive demand for cancer biomarkers is a paradigm shift toward personalized medicine for cancer therapy due to a lack of conventional diagnosis and treatment. Biomarkers are also becoming more important in personalized medicine, with applications in diagnosis, prognosis, and the selection of targeted therapy. Collaborations between various key industry companies and research institutes with the goal of developing novel cancer biomarkers for personalized treatment are also expected to boost Market expansion over the forecast period.
The growing incidence of cancer
Companion diagnostics, tailored medications, and other disease diagnostics, such as disease risk assessment and drug research and development, all rely heavily on cancer biomarkers. One of the primary reasons likely to boost cancer biomarkers Market growth during the upcoming years is the increased utilization of biomarkers in disease diagnosis. The rising global prevalence of cancer is driving the need for early disease detection, which is propelling the cancer biomarker Market forward. According to the National Cancer Institute, 1,735,350 new cancer cases were reported in the United States in 2018.
Market ing Restraining Factor:
Shortage of reimbursement policies for biomarker testing
Despite the rising global incidence of cancer and the increasing number of patients requiring diagnostic tests, the lack of reimbursement regulations for biomarker tests in emerging and industrialized nations is one issue restricting demand for these biomarkers. One of the most important concerns for service providers is sample collection, which is followed by sample access. These samples must be subjected to stringent quality control, and they must be maintained in the proper conditions to avoid loss. Various samples are also necessary for risk detection, screening, diagnosis, and monitoring.
Profiling Technologies Outlook
Based on Profiling Technologies, the Market is segmented into Omics Technologies, Imaging Technologies, Immunoassay, Bioinformatics, and Cytogenetics. The imaging technologies segment garnered a significant revenue share in the cancer biomarker Market in 2021. Imaging biomarkers (IBs) are important for the treatment of patients suffering from cancer. Clinical TNM stage, objective response, and left ventricular ejection fraction are all IBs utilized in cancer on a daily basis. Other biomarkers like CT, MRI, PET, and ultrasonography are widely employed in cancer research and medication development. By bridging 'translational gaps' through validation and qualification, new IBs can be produced as effective instruments for testing research ideas in clinical trials & research studies, or as clinical decision-making tools for use in healthcare.
Based on Application, the Market is segmented into Diagnostics, Research & Development, Prognostics, Risk Assessment, and Others. The diagnostics segment acquired the highest revenue share in the cancer biomarker Market in 2021. The utilization of cancer biomarkers in drug discovery and development, as well as increased R&D on cancer biomarkers, are driving this segment's growth.
Based on Type, the Market is segmented into Protein, Genetic, and Others. The genetic segment garnered a significant revenue share in the cancer biomarker Market in 2021. This is due to its accuracy in predicting cancer stage, detecting cancer recurrence, and monitoring therapy success. Biomarkers can also be detected in non-invasively collected biofluids such as blood or serum, allowing for speedier cancer diagnosis, early detection, and screening. Additionally, cancer biomarkers can be used to improve understanding of efficacy, drug metabolism, pharmacological action, and safety by being subjected to dynamic modification.
Cancer Type Outlook
Based on Cancer Type, the Market is segmented into Breast Cancer, Lung Cancer, Colorectal Cancer, Thyroid Cancer, Melanoma & Leukemia, Kidney & Bladder Cancer, Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, Prostate Cancer, and Others. The breast cancer segment acquired the highest revenue share in the cancer biomarker Market in 2021.Breast cancer is more common than other types of cancer, such as prostate and stomach cancer. It took the lives of many people last year. Additionally, because oestrogen and progesterone growth hormones are always exposed to female breast cells, it is more popular among women than men. Obesity in females, on the other hand, plays a role in the progression of breast cancer cases. Obesity prevalence, on the other hand, varies greatly from country to country.
|Market size value in 2021||USD 11.9 Billion|
|Market size forecast in 2028||USD 34.3 Billion|
|Historical Period||2018 to 2020|
|Forecast Period||2022 to 2028|
|Revenue Growth Rate||CAGR of 16.8% from 2022 to 2028|
|Number of Pages||325|
|Number of Tables||540|
|Report coverage||Market Trends, Revenue Estimation and Forecast, Segmentation Analysis, Regional and Country Breakdown, Companies Strategic Developments, Company Profiling|
|Segments covered||Profiling Technologies, Type, Application, Cancer Type, Region|
|Country scope||US, Canada, Mexico, Germany, UK, France, Russia, Spain, Italy, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Brazil, Argentina, UAE, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Nigeria|
Based on Regions, the Market is segmented into North America, Europe, Asia Pacific, and Latin America, Middle East & Africa. The North American region acquired the largest revenue share in the cancer biomarker Market in 2021. The expanding R&D on cancer biomarkers and rising technological breakthroughs in the development of cancer biomarkers are driving the growth of the North American cancer biomarkers Market . The number of cancer patients in the United States has increased dramatically. According to the American Cancer Society, there were 1,735,350 new cancer cases identified and 609,640 cancer-related deaths in the United States in 2018. Lung cancer, breast cancer, colorectum cancer, cancer, bladder cancer, and skin cancer are the most frequent malignancies in the United States.
Free Valuable Insights: Global Cancer Biomarkers Market size to reach USD 34.3 Billion by 2028
The Market research report covers the analysis of key stake holders of the Market . Key companies profiled in the report include BioMérieux S.A., F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd., Becton, Dickinson and Company, Abbott Laboratories, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., Illumina, Inc., Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc., Qiagen N.V., Agilent Technologies, Inc., and Merck & Co., Inc.
Recent Strategies Deployed in Cancer Biomarkers Market
- Dec-2021: Hoffmann-La Roche introduced the research use only (RUO) of 3 new automated digital pathology algorithms, uPath ER (SP1), uPath Ki-67 (30-9), & uPath PR (1E2) image analysis. These analyses are for breast cancer images to produce actionable assessments of scanned slide images that are objective & reproducible, helping pathologists in the counting of these breast cancer markers.
- Jul-2021: QIAGEN came into a partnership with Japan’s Sysmex Corporation for the development & commercialization of cancer companion diagnostics, which would improve both QIAGEN’s leadership in this field & Sysmex’s Plasma-Safe-SeqS technology for Next-generation sequencing (NGS). This partnership aimed to build collaborations with pharmaceutical companies for the development of drug treatments for cancer & promote early clinical adoption of ultra-sensitive liquid biopsy companion diagnostics.
- Mar-2021: Hoffmann-La Roche released the DISCOVERY Green HRP kit 1. It is the overall collection of modular-based detection kits to identify & profile biomarkers and cell populations in tissue-based research. The innovative DISCOVERY chromogens have translucent properties that allow researchers to analyze the co-localization of various biomarkers through the spatial overlapping of two signals in the terms of tissue.
- Oct-2020: Agilent Technologies joined hands with InterVenn, a biotechnology company. This collaboration aimed at the diseases common in Southeast Asia, and the premises for this development work would be at InterVenn Malaysia’s laboratory located at Technology Park Malaysia in KL.
- Sep-2020: Thermo Fisher Scientific joined hands with AstraZenca, a big name in pharmaceutical and the University of Nebraska Medical Center (UNMC). This collaboration aimed to enhance unique solutions to deal with requirements that weren't met before in clinical biomarker discovery. These solutions would assist streamline the transition from biomarker research to clinical implementation, making the path for new opportunities in precision medicine.
- Mar-2020: Thermo Fisher Scientific came into an agreement with Janessen Biotech, one of the subsidiaries of Janssen Pharmaceutical Companies of Johnson & Johnson. This agreement aimed to co-develop a companion diagnostic (CDx) in oncology. The CDx would aid the clinical trial enrollment globally. In this agreement, Thermo Fisher Scientific would join hands with Janssen Research & Development scientists to validate the multiple biomarkers for use with Thermo Fisher's Oncomine Dx Target Test, which would be utilized to detect variant-positive patients for enrollment into clinical trials focused on non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). In addition, indications in oncology may follow as part of the agreement.
- May-2019: QIAGEN introduced the therascreen PIK3CA RGQ PCR Kit (therascreen PIK3CA Kit). This product would help in detecting breast cancer patients eligible for treatment with PIQRAY (alpelisib), a newly approved therapy developed & Market ed by Novartis. The therascreenPIK3CA Kit is the first companion diagnostic assay to receive preMarket approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use in any cancer indication for detection of activating mutations in the PIK3CA gene. It is the first FDA-approved assay for guiding treatment decisions in breast cancer with the use of plasma specimens as a liquid biopsy.
- Dec-2018: Hoffman-La Roche came into partnership with Merck, an American multinational pharmaceutical company. This partnership aimed to develop a pan-cancer companion diagnostic to detect advanced solid tumor patients who need anti-PD-1 therapy. Both the companies would broaden the usage of this panel to comprise the identification of patients with solid tumors who can undergo immunotherapy. The new IHC companion diagnostic is being developed for usage on the Roche BenchMark ULTRA instrument. In addition, Roche looked for FDA approval to use the biomarker panel as a standardized predictive testing option for dMMR.
- Apr-2018: BioMerieux signed an agreement of acquisition with Astute Medical, a company focused on enhancing the diagnosis of high-risk medical conditions & diseases through the identification & validation of protein biomarkers. This acquisition aimed to develop & Market the NEPHROCHECK test for the VIDAS automated immunoassay system. Since 2017, bioMérieux has been a licensed distributor with Astute for the NEPHROCHECK test on the Astute140 Meter in the US.
Scope of the Study
Market Segments Covered in the Report:
By Profiling Technologies
- Omics Technologies
- Imaging Technologies
- Research & Development
- Risk Assessment
By Cancer Type
- Breast Cancer
- Lung Cancer
- Colorectal Cancer
- Thyroid Cancer
- Melanoma & Leukemia
- Kidney & Bladder Cancer
- Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma
- Prostate Cancer
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of LAMEA
Key Market Players
List of Companies Profiled in the Report:
- BioMérieux S.A.
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd.
- Becton, Dickinson and Company
- Abbott Laboratories
- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc.
- Illumina, Inc.
- Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc.
- Qiagen N.V.
- Agilent Technologies, Inc.
- Merck & Co., Inc.
Unique Offerings from KBV Research
- Exhaustive coverage
- The highest number of Market tables and figures
- Subscription-based model available
- Guaranteed best price
- Assured post sales research support with 10% customization free
What would be the size of the cancer biomarkers market by 2028?
The global cancer biomarkers market size is expected to reach $34.3 billion by 2028.
What are the key driving factors and challenges in the cancer biomarkers market?
The growing incidence of cancer are driving the market in coming years, however, shortage of reimbursement policies for biomarker testing growth of the market.
What are the major top companies in the competitive landscape?
BioMérieux S.A., F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd., Becton, Dickinson and Company, Abbott Laboratories, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Inc., Illumina, Inc., Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc., Qiagen N.V., Agilent Technologies, Inc., and Merck & Co., Inc.
Which segment shows a high revenue share of the cancer biomarkers market in 2021?
The Omics Technologies segment acquired maximum revenue share in the Global Cancer Biomarkers Market by Profiling Technologies in 2021, thereby, achieving a Market value of $11.7 billion by 2028.
Which segment is leading the market in 2021?
The Protein segment is leading the Global Cancer Biomarkers Market by Type in 2021, thereby, achieving a Market value of $15.5 billion by 2028.
Which region is fastest growing region in the market?
The North America is the fastest growing region in the Global Cancer Biomarkers Market by Region in 2021, and would continue to be a dominant Market till 2028.