Global Aptamers Market Size, Share & Industry Trends Analysis Report By Type, By Application, By Technology, By End User, By Regional Outlook, Strategy, Challenges and Forecast, 2021 - 2027
Special Offering: Industry Insights | Market Trends | Highest number of Tables | 24/7 Analyst Support
Get in-depth analysis of the COVID-19 impact on the Aptamers Market
Market Report Description
The Global Aptamers Market size is expected to reach $392.7 million by 2027, rising at a market growth of 17.6% CAGR during the forecast period.
Aptamers are oligonucleotides, such as ribonucleic acid (RNA), single-strand deoxyribonucleic acid (ssDNA), or peptide molecules, having particular three-dimensional architectures that allow them to bind to their targets with great affinity and specificity. RNA and ssDNA aptamers, in particular, might differ in sequence and folding pattern, although binding to the same target.
In the 1980s, research on the human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) and adenovirus led to the idea of combining nucleic acids with proteins. It was discovered that these viruses encode a number of short structured RNAs with excellent affinity and specificity for viral or cellular proteins. The trans-activation response (TAR) element, a short RNA ligand that binds to the viral Tat protein, stimulates trans-activation and virus replication in HIV. Virus-associated (VA)-RNA is a short RNA aptamer that modulates translation in adenoviruses.
Macugen, a vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF)-specific aptamer approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2004 for the treatment of neo-vascular (wet) age-related macular degeneration (AMD), is a significant milestone in the application of aptamers.
COVID-19 Impact Analysis
COVID-19 is a worldwide health pandemic that causes an abnormally high rate of morbidity and mortality. SARS-CoV-2 enters host cells through clathrin-mediated endocytosis. Rapid and precise detection approaches, as well as vaccine and medication designs with SARS-CoV-2 targeting capabilities, are important in the battle against COVID-19 infections. There is an urgent need to develop safe novel biomedical technology to limit COVID-19 direct influence on public health around the world.
Moreover, breakthroughs in aptameric systems research point to the possibility of developing effective and economical diagnostics, treatments, and preventative vaccinations for SARS-CoV-2 and other infectious diseases. In addition, aptamer-based detection is the most specific, affordable, and quick detection of COVID-19 without laboratory tools.
Market Growth Factors:
Ongoing technological developments and R&D in the pharmaceutical & biotechnology industries
Some of the growth catalysts for the market are improvements in aptamer development methods and rising R&D spending by leading market participants to develop and produce recombinant products. Moreover, the use of aptamers for drug discovery and illness treatment would increase in the upcoming years. In addition, ongoing research activities are displaying the effectiveness of the aptamers in different applications. Many governments are approving the use of aptamers to fulfill the demand of therapeutic and diagnostic applications.
Growing applications of aptamer in Virus Detection
Virus isolation in tissue cultures, immunological, and molecular approaches are all being used to diagnosis viral infections. However, these approaches have a number of problems, including the fact that they are technically demanding, expensive, and can result in false positive or false negative results, whereas an aptamer-based assay for virus detection may alleviate some of these issues.
Marketing Restraining Factor:
Lesser acceptance in market in comparison to antibodies
Aptamers have a low affinity, which is one of their key disadvantages. Despite the fact that aptamers can target a wide range of compounds, research have revealed that they do not have strong affinities for all of them. Certain interactions between the aptamer and the target molecule can be limited by the oligonucleotide structure of aptamers. Aptamers' targets are mostly found in blood plasma or cells that can be accessed by blood plasma.
Based on the Type, the aptamers market is categorized in DNA Aptamers, XNA Aptamers, and RNA Aptamers. In 2020, the DNA-based aptamers segment dominated the aptamers market with the highest revenue share of the market. The substantial growth of this segment is attributed to their lower production costs and improved stability when compared to other nucleic acid-based aptamers, as well as their widespread availability.
Based on the Application, the Aptamers market is segregated into Therapeutics Development, Research & Development, Diagnostics, and Others. In 2020, the diagnostic segment held a promising revenue share of the Aptamers Market. The significant growth rate of the segment is attributed to the rapidly increasing frequency of chronic diseases and disorders as well as the development of novel diagnostic kits to identify cancer and other diseases and disorders. Moreover, the most important component in the treatment of diseases, particularly viral disorders, is an accurate diagnosis.
Based on the Technology, the Aptamers market is bifurcated into SELEX and Others. In 2020, the SELEX technology segment obtained the largest revenue share of the aptamers market. The significant revenue share of the segment can be attributed to the fact that SELEX is one of the most commonly utilized technologies to perform the process of isolating high-affinity single-stranded DNA and RNA from a broad line of random sequences. This is due to the constantly increasing focus on innovating technologies for aptamer selection.
End User Outlook
Based on the End-user, the Aptamers market is divided into Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Companies, Academic & Government Research Institutes, CROs, and Others. In 2020, Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Companies segment acquired the largest revenue share of the aptamers market. This is owing to the growing number of market players offering aptamers for usage in therapeutics development and rising R&D spending.
|Market size value in 2020||USD 137.6 Million|
|Market size forecast in 2027||USD 392.7 Million|
|Historical Period||2017 to 2019|
|Forecast Period||2021 to 2027|
|Revenue Growth Rate||CAGR of 17.6% from 2021 to 2027|
|Number of Pages||233|
|Number of Tables||450|
|Report coverage||Market Trends, Revenue Estimation and Forecast, Segmentation Analysis, Regional and Country Breakdown, Companies Strategic Developments, Company Profiling|
|Segments covered||Type, Application, Technology, End User, Region|
|Country scope||US, Canada, Mexico, Germany, UK, France, Russia, Spain, Italy, China, Japan, India, South Korea, Singapore, Malaysia, Brazil, Argentina, UAE, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Nigeria|
Based on the Region, the Aptamers market is analyzed across North America, Europe, APAC, and LAMEA. In 2020, North America emerged as the leading region in the overall Aptamers market by collecting the maximum revenue share of the market. This is attributed to the availability of funds to develop innovative technologies, the presence of prominent market players, and growing collaborations among companies. Moreover, some of the key trends of the regional market are rapid rate of technological breakthroughs and substantial investment and funding to assist the development of aptamers.
Free Valuable Insights: Global Aptamers Market size to reach USD 392.7 Million by 2027
The market research report covers the analysis of key stake holders of the market. Key companies profiled in the report include Kaneka Corporation, Aptamer Group PLC, SomaLogic, Inc., RayBiotech Life, Inc., Neoventures Biotechnology, Inc., Maravai Lifesciences Holdings, Inc., Aptus Biotech, Base Pair Biotechnologies, Inc., Alpha Diagnostic International, Inc., and Vivonics, Inc.
Recent Strategies Deployed in Aptamers Market
- Nov-2021: Aptamer extended its partnership with DeepVerge, a pharmaceutical company. Following the extended partnership, Aptamer Group would create multiple new Optimer binders to viral targets beyond coronaviruses, with the next development phase including Pepper mild mottle virus (PMMoV), Influenza A, Escherichia coli, Influenza B, and Polio, to be integrated into Microtox PD system.
- Aug-2021: Aptamer signed an agreement with Bio-Works Technologies, the developer and manufacturer of leading-edge agarose-based purification technologies. Following the agreement, the two companies would together create a new affinity resin for enhanced purification and scale-up of gene therapy vectors.
- Aug-2021: SomaLogic along with CM-Life Sciences II formed a collaboration with Twist Bioscience Corporation, a company allowing customers to succeed through its providing of high-quality synthetic DNA with the help of its silicon platform. Following the collaboration, the entities would develop novel antibodies and allow innovative drug discovery based on key disease biomarkers.
- Jul-2021: Aptamer Group formed a research collaboration with WuXi AppTec Research Service Division, an integrated chemistry and biology research platform. Following the collaboration, the two entities would work together to find new Optimer-enabled therapeutics. Moreover, the collaboration would further identify Optimers for usage as Optimer-drug conjugates for targeted delivery of diverse payloads to new cellular targets.
- Jun-2021: SomaLogic entered into a research collaboration with Ixaka, a private cell, and gene therapy company. This research collaboration would focus on the development of aptamer-based bispecific therapeutics. The agreement aimed to look at the safety and efficacy of antigen-specific SOMAmer reagents that SomaLogic has previously discovered and assessed as possible candidates for use with Ixaka's anti-CD3 aptamers.
- May-2021: Aptamer signed an agreement with Takeda, the multinational pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical company. Following the agreement, the Aptamer would evaluate its Optimer technology with a new target class, with the potential for integration into Takeda’s drug development process.
- May-2021: Aptamer extended its agreement with AstraZeneca, a British-Swedish multinational pharmaceutical and biotechnology company. This extended agreement would identify the potential of utilizing Optimer-based strategies to target renal cells and explore the feasibility of creating advanced Drug Delivery vehicles, Optimer-drug conjugates.
- Mar-2021: Aptamer signed a commercial partnership with Mologic, a leading developer and manufacturer of lateral flow and rapid diagnostic tests. The partnership would attempt to get Aptamer Group's AptaDx SARS-CoV-2 lateral flow fast antigen assay, which detects the SARS-CoV-2 spike protein antigen in anterior nasal swabs, CE-marked for professional usage.
- The market research report covers the analysis of key stake holders of the market. Key companies profiled in the report include Kaneka Corporation, Aptamer Group PLC, SomaLogic, Inc., RayBiotech Life, Inc., Neoventures Biotechnology, Inc., Maravai Lifesciences Holdings, Inc., Aptus Biotech, Base Pair Biotechnologies, Inc., Alpha Diagnostic International, Inc., and Vivonics, Inc.
Scope of the Study
Market Segments Covered in the Report:
- DNA Aptamers
- XNA Aptamers and
- RNA Aptamers
- Therapeutics Development
- Research & Development
- Diagnostic and
- SELEX and
By End User
- Pharmaceutical & Biotechnology Companies
- Academic & Government Research Institutes
- CROs and
- North America
- Rest of North America
- Rest of Europe
- Asia Pacific
- South Korea
- Rest of Asia Pacific
- Saudi Arabia
- South Africa
- Rest of LAMEA
Key Market Players
List of Companies Profiled in the Report:
- Kaneka Corporation
- Aptamer Group PLC
- SomaLogic, Inc.
- RayBiotech Life, Inc.
- Neoventures Biotechnology, Inc.
- Maravai Lifesciences Holdings, Inc.
- Aptus Biotech
- Base Pair Biotechnologies, Inc.
- Alpha Diagnostic International, Inc.
- Vivonics, Inc.
Unique Offerings from KBV Research
- Exhaustive coverage
- The highest number of market tables and figures
- Subscription-based model available
- Guaranteed best price
- Assured post sales research support with 10% customization free
What would be the value of the global aptamers market by 2027?
The global aptamers market size is expected to reach $392.7 million by 2027.
What are the key driving factors and challenges in the aptamers market?
Growing applications of aptamer in Virus Detection of the companies are driving the market in coming years, however, lesser acceptance in market in comparison to antibodies have limited the growth of the market.
Who are the top market players in the aptamers industry?
Kaneka Corporation, Aptamer Group PLC, SomaLogic, Inc., RayBiotech Life, Inc., Neoventures Biotechnology, Inc., Maravai Lifesciences Holdings, Inc., Aptus Biotech, Base Pair Biotechnologies, Inc., Alpha Diagnostic International, Inc., and Vivonics, Inc.
Which segment dominated the aptamers market in 2020?
SELEX acquired maximum revenue share in the Global Aptamers Market by Technology 2020, and would continue to be a dominant market till 2027.
Which segment shows the high growth rate of the aptamers market over the forecast period?
RNA Aptamers segment has high growth rate of 19.9% during (2021 - 2027). The growth of this segment is due to its high therapeutic as well as diagnostic value.
Which region is fastest growing region in the market?
The North America market is the fastest growing region in the Global Aptamers Market by Region 2020, and would continue to be a dominant market till 2027.