Types of Cookware and Buying Guide For Your Kitchen
Cookware refers to the kitchen equipment like cooking pots, frying pans, and it is used to prepare food. It can be used on a stove, induction, and microwave. There is a wide variety of cookware available on market, which has different shapes, materials, and sizes. Some of the utensils come with a non-stick surface while some do not.
Some utensils are easy to handle without even gloves as they have handles and knobs made of low thermal conductance materials. Stainless steel cookware is the most durable and widely used cookware as it is easy to use and clean.
Types of materials used for making Cookware:
There are various types of materials used for making cookware according to their qualities, which can be found in different shapes. So, we are mentioning below a few varieties of cookware made up of different materials:
Metallic cookware is made from specific metals, which have good thermal conductivity quality and are too reactive while preparing food.
Aluminum is a metal that is very light in weight and also has good thermal conductivity. It is a corrosion-resistant metal that is commonly seen in sheet, cast, and anodized forms. An aluminum sheet is used for pie plates, cake or muffin pans, baking sheets.
Copper is a high thermal conductive non-noble metal and therefore, heats up fast but does not store heat. Copper cookware is mostly plated with a thin layer of stainless steel, which increases its popularity across various restaurants and households.
Cast iron is a most versatile cooking material which is durable and conducts heat well. Cast iron utensils can be used to prepare food over the stove, oven, and grill. Coating these utensils help in layering and protecting the surface of the utensil and doesn’t allow food to stick to it.
Stainless steel is a good conductor of heat. It is durable, rust-free, corrosion-resistant, and non-reactive. Seasoning is not required for stainless steel to protect its surface, but to provide a non-stick surface seasoning can be done to make it nonstick.
Carbon steel is cheaper than stainless steel and does not conduct efficient heat. It is commonly used to make pancakes as its surface is smooth. It is used in the manufacturing of woks and nowadays, it is increasingly used for making knives. A good-quality carbon steel skillet pan is sometimes used for boiling, baking, and frying.
Non-metallic cookware cannot be used on the stovetop but can be used in both conventional microwaves and ovens.
Borosilicate glass is a safer option to use for cooking in an oven under high temperature, whereas, it cannot be used on a stovetop. Through the clear glass, people can see the state of food during the cooking process and would be able to know whether the food is cooked properly or not.
Ceramic cooking-utensil are made of metal rather than ceramic. The unifying feature of ceramic cooking-utensil is a sol-gel coating which releases silicone oil whenever the cooking-utensil is used. This feature gives the cooking-utensil a non-stick surface, which is easy to clean also.
Silicone cooking-utensil is mostly used for baking purposes. It is light in weight, flexible, and can be used under 360° C temperature, whereas, it will start melting at 500° C.
Points to consider before buying Cooking-utensil:
- Oven-safe cooking-utensil: Look for cookware that is suitable for both stovetop and oven. It will help you in managing your utensils as well as you don’t need to spend too much money on it.
- Best material- Clad cooking-utensil: cookware is found in different materials like stainless steel, cast iron, aluminum, copper, and clad. The best of these is clad cooking-utensil as it is made of layers of metal that is heated up under intense pressure.
- Collection of cookware: It is important to make a note of what type of utensil you need, which helps you at the time of buying your collection. The collection should fit well for your daily cooking-utensil requirement.
- Pick up heavy utensils: Heavy pan or pot with thick cladding on the bottom is a good one. These types of cookware conduct heat more and take less time for cooking.
- Customize your own cookware set: Cooking-utensil sets include some utensils which we never use. They just occupy the space in the kitchen. So, try to pick up a similar piece of cookware and make your own customized cookware set.
Cookware is a vital part of our day-to-day life. There are varieties of cookware available in markets that can be found in different shapes, materials, and sizes. Some are suitable for stovetop cooking whereas some are suitable for oven and microwave cooking. Some cookware has a coating over them just to prevent them from getting rust.
cookware is used for residential as well as commercial purposes. There are various kinds of cookware available like pots, pans, spoons, wok, etc.
The Global Cooking-utensil Market size is expected to rise at a market growth of 13.6% CAGR during the forecast period.